27580Re: Traditional Polytarp Sail

  • simonfbroad
    May 1, 2013
      Nels

      Yes, the mast is a long way forward, and that is because of the centreboard. The original plans had a leeboard and the mast behind the forward bulkhead.
      There is a diagram on the WB thread that gives the actual size of the sail and shows the CE lining up with the trailing edge of the centreboard.

      Mathematically that all worked out.

      When I sailed it first time the centreboard jammed, I jibed it too sharply without moving my bulk to the other side of the boat, and the mast step (the only part I didn't use thickened epoxy to glue) gave way.
      The boat is now at home being re-modeled (back to David Beede's original design).

      Simon.