27094Re: Building plywood Boats...Cross Post

    Mar 11, 2013
      Just an observation but I don't see any obvious to me advantages to
      these methods over the Michalak/Payson build books.

      Their books do not require any building jigs, frames nor stringers -
      just the bulkheads - which become a part of the boat and provide the
      flotation or shelter. Maybe an additional temporary bulkhead at the
      widest part of the hull that can be re-used to make the rudder and
      leeboard. Less solid lumber framing, less sawing and less weight in the
      final product.

      And Payson shows not even requiring holes in the panels for ties in his
      tack and tape method. Just some tacks (small nails) and masking or duct
      tape to hold the panels in place prior to sealing the seams with goop.
      Plus a temporary "Spanish windlass" to close up the ends and maybe a
      temporary brace to hold them. But his designs use 1/4" plywood which
      allows for easy bends. His second last build book is still a classic in
      my mind. As are all his writings which is what got this whole thing
      going along with the drawing genius of Phil Bolger

      http://www.instantboats.com/btnib.htm

      Not sure if Welsford's book has ever been available in North America.
      His writings and plans are awesome, but maybe more work to bring into
      reality. You end up with a classic whereas Jim's and Phil's are just
      plain "plain" for the most part by comparison.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

      > I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite
      informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the
      information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat
      builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came
      about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and
      other things.Excellent read>

      > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
      magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."