      From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 7:13 PM
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Building plywood Boats...Cross Post

      Great Link Bill

      I think some builders like to use two layers of glass, one wider and
      then one narrower so the edges will be easier to be tapered flat. Also 2
      layers of lighter glass may be easier to wet out thoroughly than one
      layer of heavier glass. The chines tend to take the most abuse on a
      flat-bottomed hull. And I guess the shell mounds in Florida can be quite
      abusive.

      Nels
      --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "Bll" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

      > One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood
      boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and
      photos that Matt had sent him.

      > I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design,
      and construction using simple tools.

      > Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of
      the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size
      of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his
      boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby
      a small lake is a challenge to me!

      > If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting
      as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

      http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.htm