27042Re: Michalak Caroline

  • JeffreyM
    Mar 2, 2013
      Fascinating model, and beautifully made. Two questions occur to me. (I did not see the original conversation back in 2010, if there was one.) First, why the angled cabin front? It looks cool, but I think it robs cabin volume to no purpose. It would be uncomfortable to lean against except from the inside; a flat front would make a nice backrest both in and out. Second: why a front cockpit rather than a rear one? You couldn't sail the boat from the cockpit without pretty severe effects on trim, and a lot of controls would have to go forward in ways difficult to make practical. That means the helmsman is stuck in the cabin except at anchor. (I wish my Jewelbox Jr. had a tiny aft cockpit for just that reason.) Finally, having the cockpit aft of the cabin means you are much more out of the wind and spray. The one good thing I can think of with an aft cabin--and it's not a small thing--is that the boat would ride better at anchor with all that windage aft.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nels,
      > I thought I simply shot Mike Lourens an email, not meaning to make a post. He has not replied yet. No matter, his model pics are at this link:
      >
      > The heater I presently have is an Origo Heat-Pal 5000 ethanol heater. On eBay for about $80/case delivered I can get Pharmco-Aaper flueless fireplace ethanol http://www.ebay.com/itm/281047025508 Locally I was able to buy a gallon of the same brand but different formula ethanol for testing. The water content is the lowest, no smell and there is zero carbon monoxide generated. One obviously needs some ventilation. If you are not familiar, my heater uses a wick and holds 3 pints for about 20 hours on low. I plan on also using it with a wok and a 4qt pot for baking. I want to build a chuck box too for longer times out using my Coleman 425E to cook.
      >
      > As far as outboard I hope to invest in a new Tohatsu. Size? No bigger than the 9.8. The six would be underpowered I think. Too bad as it burns half the gallons/hour.
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <nelsarv@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jeff,
      > > I could not find the pics and am curious. Do you have a link? I did find
      > > some of an AF4G with higher cabin added over at a Michalak sub-group.
      > > 1260240026/pic/list
      > >
      > > Looks very well done and might provide some ideas or inspiration. I am
      > > also wondering what size OB you have in mind and what kind of interior
      > > heat? Definitely a nice thing to have some heat up here in the great NW.
      > > Nels

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic