26558Re: [Michalak] Re: Hatch(s) for bird watcher openings?

  • BGN5731@aol.com
    Jan 1, 2013
      Well, Bobby, the truth is the only three panel sliding hatch design I could
      come up with proved much too ugly, and much more trouble to build than I
      believed the end result would be worth.

      To get the three panels to slide together into one single panel would
      require three different heights of panels, each forming a stair-step to slide
      under the higher panel. So there would be a three fold difference in height
      between the first and last panel. Ugly to say the least!

      I decided to go with a two sliding hatch to cover the open slot. Still
      ugly, but one-third less so...I hope! <G>

      "_http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYGFront%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20
      hatch%20closed.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYGFront%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20hatch%20closed.jpg) "

      _http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Front%20hatch%20withsliding%20h
      atch%20open%20all%20the%20way.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Front%20hatch%20withsliding%20hatch%20open%20all%20the%20way.jpg)

      "_http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Rear%20hatch%20with%20sliding%
      20hatch%20open%20fully.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Rear%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20hatch%20open%20fully.jpg) "

      A three panel would be still 1/3rd taller! To Keep it somewhat rain proof,
      the higher panels need to be at the front of the boat so the sliding gap is
      facing aft. The panels look better facing the other way!

      Frankly, I made the hard cover sliding hatches because it interested me,
      and I had nothing else I wanted to mess with.

      However, Jim Michalak told me at the 2012 Sail Oklahoma Event, that almost
      everyone he knew, who has made hard panels for the slot, has returned to a
      soft cover. I believe the difficulty of properly storing the hard panels
      would most likely offset the value of having a sturdier roof. Plus a soft
      cover is much easier on your head when ducking under the panel to go forward,
      etc.! <G>

      I guess that what I'm trying to say is...if I was building a new boat I
      wouldn't alter the plans to provide storage for hard panels. In fact, I'd plan
      on using curved bows, and some light weigh water-proof material in lieu of
      hard sliding panels.

      Bobby, you might find it worth while to come over to my house,and play
      around with my two sliding roof panels. You might come up with a much better
      construction method for hard panels, or rethink the merits of a soft cover.

      Bill Nolen
      OKC

      In a message dated 12/31/2012 10:54:15 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      okiebobby@... writes:

      Bill, curious if you came up with a three piece version of Jeff's two
      piece hardtop?

      I'm leaning toward that route on my Caroline. If I build the top slot
      three inches narrower, while increasing the width of the starboard coach roof
      3", the hardcovers should just be able to stow on the starboard roof when
      not in use.

      I was thinking the middle cover would be twice as long as end covers, and
      sit high enough and wide enough to allow the end covers to slide under the
      middle cover.

      I haven't figured out how to get the end covers to slide under the middle
      cover when retracted, yet still be able to lock the end sections over the
      outside of the top washboard when extended. I'm hoping somebody here has an
      easy solution.

      --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,