      From: daniel brown <dannyb9@...>
      To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, 22 November 2012 11:38 PM
      Subject: RE: [Michalak] Re: Yawls Rock!

      john, if you designed your boat i guess you can call it whatever you like.  dories are usually designed for rowing, so if your pirogue was designed with rowing in mind, maybe it is a dory. pirogues are usually paddled with a single blade, as i'm sure you know...would you post some pics of your boat, i've seen it before and i'm very interested in the type.  i am a compulsive builder looking for my next project : )

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: Helliconia54@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:31:14 -0800

      I have a pirogue,is it also a dory? it has flared sides and rocker.Or,is it a skiff? its got a flat bottom,maybe a canoe? pointy both ends and open.Naming a type of boat can be very frustrating.

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      From: jtrussell2@...
      Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 08:23:01 -0500

            For a discussion of various flat bottomed boats, Howard Chapelle’s American

      Small Craft is scholarly and exhaustive. In general, dories have great

      flare,  fore and aft bottom planking, and were designed primarily for

      rowing. Sharpies have less flare (wider bottom), have a cross planked

      bottom, and were designed primarily for sail. There are also such variations

      as the lumberman’s bateau (more flare and more rake than a dory), and the

      flat iron skiff. The wide spread use of plywood renders the cross

      planked/fore and aft planked distinction a matter of historical interest.

      JohnT

      _____