26078Re: [Michalak] Re: Yawls Rock!

  • John Kohnen
    Nov 22, 2012
      Traditionally constructed dories are built upright on a thick, fore and
      aft bottom, with the lower side plank overlapping the bottom. Skiffs and
      sharpies are built upside down with the bottom, whether cross-planked or
      fore and aft planked, fastened to the bottom of the already installed
      sides and overlapping them. They're really quite different boats, with
      different lineage.

      BTW, the boat that spawned the term "shory" was probably Commodore Munro's
      Egret. Plans for Egret don't exist, but several interpretations have been
      worked up from photos and descriptions. Here's one I saw last year.
      Unfortunately, the photo doesn't really show off the great flare in the
      sides:

      <http://www.boat-links.com/images/Jombie-2011.jpg>

      On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:35:14 -0800, Andres E wrote:

      > A Pirogue like the Louisiana namesake is a skiff and a sharpie is also a
      > skill and both originate (I think) from earlier dories which came first.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
      wilderness for our love. (Thomas Jefferson)
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic