25571Re: Mayfly14

    Sep 1, 2012
      I loved those videos in that they illustrated to me a more "relaxed"
      form of sailing - lounging back and enjoying the moment and the dolphins
      swimming along with you etc. I have been on canoe trips were some of the
      group can't seem to wait to get to the destination and miss a lot
      instead of just enjoying and relishing the moment. And getting impatient
      with those you lag behind. So often, my wife and I preferred to go out
      alone.

      There is a type of tape that doesn't require sewing it down on a
      polytarp sail. Wish I could find a source for it.

      You can spend a fair amount of bucks on a high quality sail and rigging
      it for best performance, but what to do when the wind dies? I think
      Jim's philosophy is to invest some of the bucks in a small reliable
      outboard instead, especially if you are a novice sailor. Even a small 2
      hp OB will drive a lot of Jim's designs at hull speed against a light
      head wind better than a costly sail.

      But you are lucky getting a good new sail like you did. Then tweaks
      sound reasonable cost-wise for sure.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Nels, that is my Mayfly in the 2011 Texas200. At that time, she
      had the original setup that Jim specifies and the polytarp sail that I
      built per Jim's instructions in his book, and she did well on that trip.
      In Seadrift after the 200, a friend noticed that the taped (not sewn)
      polytarp sail was falling apart, so he sent me a Dacron sail that he had
      made for a boat that he had never built. I was inspired with the new
      sail to try some of Michael Storer and Brian Pearson's recommendations
      for better balanced lug performance.

      > Chuck Leinweber's pump up shower made huge contributions to
      performance both years. :)

      > Chuck P
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" nelsarv@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I think this one is set-up pretty close to what Jim writes in his
      build
      > > book with a good view of the so-called "tack line".
      > >

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPWwbATdw4&feature=relmfu
      > >

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0HVh7BEfk&feature=relmfu
      > >

      > > I notice there is one of Chuck's portable showers on board as
      well:-)

      > > Nels

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic