24931Re: Advice on bottom thickness of piccup pram

  • Mike
    Jun 3, 2012
      Scot
      . Checked manufacturer specs.it's 5.2-5.5 mm thickness.Putting fiberglass cloth on bottom and up the side panels to some extent. Thinking of fiberglassing inside open area where you sit and floor of that area.

      Just thought of something else in terms of structural strength of side panel at that thickness to mount Leeboard. Have to think this one out. Thanks for the feedback.

      Mike
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Scot Mc Pherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

      > yes, but depending on how far he's gotten or how easy it would be to
      > laminate another layer on, heavy glassing it MAY be a lot more
      > expensive and the core may still not be thick enough to provide the
      > strength gotten from glassing. You need some separation between the
      > layers of glass (i.e. the plywood core), for the glass to be
      > structurally strong.
      >
      > No to mention glass is heavy and not bouyant...so you want to think
      > about this one...consider how far you have gone with the boat, and
      > whether it might be easier to laminate another layer of 4mm ply on it.
      > I think it certainly would be cheaper...again depending on how far.
      >
      > Scot
      >

      > On 6/3/12, Martin Houston <mtnridr13@...> wrote:
      > > Or glass the heck out of it, both sides.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic