      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: footstepfollower@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:52:31 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Black streaks in wood...

      Bought a 16 foot southern yellow pine board to rip for gunwales. It was straight and almost knot free, but had faint black streaks in it. I thought it was perhaps surface mold? However, it was present throughout the board as I ripped it. Now that the wales are glued and screwed it is more evident as I epoxied a small section. Is this mold? Can it be bleached out? Will it affect the life of the wood?