23436Re: Primer over epoxy fiberglass

    Oct 1, 2011
      Hajo,

      I agree alkyd marine might be the way to go. Especially at that price!
      Alkyds use organic oils (Like linseed) rather than petroleum based so
      one might consider them more environmentally friendly. Epoxy of course
      is petroleum based so alkyds should be compatible I would think.

      Organic oil-based paints may take a bit longer to fully harden as they
      use organic alcohol as the evaporant and may not be quite as glossy as
      other petroleum based marine paints with evaporants that cure faster.

      Raka products seem like a really good line.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Smulders <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

      > I'm switching to a (cheap) marine paint as well.
      > I used Raka's mega gloss alkyd at $35 / a gallon (Which is what porch
      and
      > floor paint costs as well.) and was very happy with the results
      compared to
      > house paint. It seems to have a higher gloss, and definitely levels
      better.
      > I use a foam roller and then bust the bubbles with a brush. You need
      to get
      > very close to see that it isn't sprayed.
      > FWIW: I used to use porch and floor paint all the time. I'm beginning
      > care more about looks and saving time nowadays; even if it costs a bit
      more.

      > Hajo
      > --
      > "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat." (L.
      Tomlin)