23433Re: Primer over epoxy fiberglass

  • Michael
    Oct 1, 2011
      I would recommend using "marine" paint. It is more expensive but the results are a lot better.

      I used good latex paint on my first boat. It held up well even left in the water all summer but was not at all glossy and did not show the boat to its best advantage. It did provide adequate protection from the elements and against rot.

      I bought a quart of "marine" paint for the next build. One quart covered over glass set in epoxy as well as a half gallon of latex. The paint was glossy and set the boat off to its best advantage. The marine paint costs more but in my opinion given the amount of work that goes into a boat a few dollars more for a much prettier result is well worth it.