23234Re: [Michalak] Re: Small curiosity

  • John Kohnen
    Sep 1, 2011
      OK, I see it now... That's the lever itself that broke. My little "ear"
      with the all-thread reinforcement survived your kick just fine, but the
      plywood lever broke. I'll bet the the lever and board laminations were cut
      as one piece, that's the only reason I can think of to use plywood there.

      Grind the paint off both sides of the top of the leeboard for 4" or so
      from the break, and grind it off the full length of the lever. Glue the
      lever back into the break, then put a layer or two of fiberglass on each
      side. That should do it. A length of all-thread in the middle off
      everything wouldn't hurt. Belt and braces. <g>

      On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:03:41 -0700, Mark Awrote:

      > John,
      > Yes, the ear with the hole for the lanyards. I didn't find the piece
      > of all-thread, though that might be the way to fix it. Thinking about
      > screws, I worried about the poor holding in plywood edges. The lever
      > itself is plywood. Filling a hole drilled down from the top with
      > epoxy and metal should do. The ear fits back in quite firmly.
      > Another pic here.
      > I won't kick it again until I get another bit of the loose uphaul
      > wedged in between the board and the slot with truly amazing force. <g>

      John (jkohnen@...)
      Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
      two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy
      Blount Jr.)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic