23228Re: [Michalak] Small curiosity

  • John Kohnen
    Sep 1, 2011
      Do you mean the little rounded "ear" with a hole in it for the lanyards,
      that sits (or sat <g>) on top of the lever at the top of the leeboard, or
      do you mean that lever itself? A photo giving the Big Picture might help
      us get an idea of what to do. I added that little rounded ear to give
      better leverage for the hold-down lanyard when the board is all the way
      down. I think I stuck a piece of brass all-thread in an epoxy filled
      oversize hole to help hold it on. But I don't recognize anything in the
      pictures, and I don't think there was any plywood where I stuck the ear
      on...

      Whatever part it was, it should be repaired strong enough so it'll survive
      at least a few injudicious kicks. ;o) A bit of all-thread in a slightly
      oversize hole full of epoxy is good reinforcement. Fiberglass wrapped
      around the joint is maybe even better. Metal plates or straps really won't
      work as well as fiberglass and epoxy, since they depend on fasteners
      (boatbuilding epoxy doesn't do a very good job of sticking metal to wood).

      On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:04:22 -0700, Mark A wrote:

      > Please don't ask how, but I managed to get my leeboard jammed in the
      > down position yesterday. With ill-considered haste I proceeded to
      > give a couple of kicks to free it up. Alas, the little ear came
      > flying off. The curios part is that, surprising as it may be, it
      > looks to me like it may have been only glued on on the first place
      > with thin outer laminations extending over it, rather than the board
      > trimmed to leave it proud.
      >
      > See how cleanly it broke? The ear itself shows a thick spread of epoxy.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed
      a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic