      From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of jhargrovewright2@...
      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 8:28 AM
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] Help with rivets?

      I am suggesting that rivets are a better fix than pop rivets. Of course, in
      an aluminum boat use aluminum rivets. Alum works well even in salt
      water..... Some allclad alum was used in the 50's that did not hold up well
      at all.

      From: KEN <rekkamurd@... <mailto:rekkamurd%40yahoo.com> >
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

      <!--CTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dt--><p><span style="display:
      none;"> </span></p><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~--><div
      id="ygrp-mlmsg" style="position: relative;"><div id="ygrp-msg"
      style="z-index: 1;"><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~--><div
      id="ygrp-text"><p>most pop rivet tools have a couple different diameter
      die's you thread into em, bigger stemmed rivets can be a little tougher to
      ratchet and pop is all. plant em solidly-squarely and ratchet em on in. a
      "dud" can be a pain, the ones that pop too easy.. junk, drill it loose and
      retry. holes you drill for em, as small as can get a rivet into, about all I
      know about the things.. and I've used many thousands of em (but not
      with boat hulls). I can imagine using a bit of silicone as a lube and
      sealant on em too before landing em, like down a keel strip.<br>lots of
      older tinnies used thin rubber and pop rivets.<br>--- On Sun, 7/31/11,
      Robert
      <<a
      href="mailto:footstepfollower%40verizon.net">footstepfollower@...
      <<a
      href="mailto:footstepfollower%40verizon.net">footstepfollower@...
      <mailto:footstepfollower%40verizon.net> </a>><br>Subject: [Michalak] Help
      with rivets?<br>To: <a
      href="mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com">Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> </a><br>Date: Sunday, July 31, 2011,
      the canoe I am adding the piccup sailing rig to. I can see application for
      their use even on ply/epoxy boats in the outfitting stage. Anyone here have
      a link to a primer/treatise on rivet basics? <br><br>There are several
      sizes/types of rivets used on this hull. Most appear to be typical
      pop-rivets but some have large heads for load distribution such as where the
      aluminum angle is secured to the hull side. Hope I can source these without
      the need to purchase multiple, expensive rivet guns...<br><br>[Non-text
      portions of this
      message have been
      style="color: #fff; height:
      0;"></div><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~--><!-- end group email --></html>