22921Re: Family Skiff in the Texas 200 Photos

  • scr243
    Jul 4 2:36 PM
      I just came back from a little overnight cruise on my Piccup Pram and here are some things I noticed:

      I really missed the seats on the FS since I was skooching around on my knees and rear so I retorqued my knee that I previously managed to dislocate on the 2009 Tex 200.

      The angle you sit at on the bottom of a boat seems to put more pressure on a smaller spot so your butt starts hurting much quicker (about 1.5 hours of sailing vs about 5 hours in the Family Skiff).

      Launching was about the same for both boats but the Pram is a snap to retrieve

      All the sailing bits on the Pram seemed like toys in comparison, the mast, sail, rudder all felt so small relative to the FS parts.

      Sleeping on the Piccup is about equal to sleeping on the FS in comfort.

      I am definitely spoiled now with the sailing ability of the FS, I just don't have to worry much about the weather or length of trip as I do with the Pram.

      Rigging the Family Skiff takes about the same length of time as the Pram, same number of parts they are just a little larger. No, I don't have any tricks to help other than when you launch take all the tiedowns and winch line off and leave the painter tied to the back of the trailer loosely. Back down and float it off then pull forward to get the boat beached. I am sure you know that one already.

      I think it would make a good boat for you.

      Stan

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "gary" <gbship@...> wrote:

      > We like the Wooboto and have sailed Noel Davis' a couple times. the Mayfly 14 is also nice. I watched Scott Gosnell sail his in the 2010 Florida 120. Piccup is a quick boat for it's size, but it's amazing how one sheet of plywood and a few extra feet of length make a much faster boat in either the Mayfly or the Wooboto. But, alas, neither has bench seats and we like the extra freeboard of the Family Skiff. I think the Family Skiff weighs about the same as our Frolic2, so would expect launching would be about the same. thought maybe you had some tricks I hadn't thought of. I think the FS would be faster to set up the mast wouldn't have to be maneuvered through the slot top & the running rigging would be easier to get at if there's a snarl. the longer and wider cockpit is also nicer for a daysailer.
      >
      > A lot of the drawbacks would be addressed if there just was a convenient way to lower the trailer chasis 6-12 inches!
      >
      > Gary
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scr243" <scr243@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I replaced my Piccup Pram with the Family Skiff as I wanted all the features you do plus the ability to handle rough water better. The FS will give you all those "extras" you listed, but at the same cost as any larger boat. Larger, heavier boats will always be more difficult to launch and retrieve than the Piccup. Set up time is about the same as I just use the mainsail for daysailing, yes I have to submerge the trailer now but I see no reason you could not design the trailer for winching the boat up easier than I do.
      > >
      > > In general, boats decrease the "impulse usage" as they increase in size and you will generally use a small boat more. Sometimes there is no choice in the matter as a smaller boat may not be capable of handling the local conditions. I like to sail on the Gulf coast and my Piccup is just is too small there for the typical summer high winds and heavy chop, but is OK on the local lakes. Jim states that around 15 ft. is a good maximum size for one person to deal with and
      > > I would definitely agree there. With the trailer set up right one person can handle the FS just fine but it is noticeably more work than a small pram. One example, I have to use the car to move my FS and trailer into the backyard for storage but I easily move my Piccup and trailer around by hand. If the weight and ground handling are most important, you might consider the Mayfly 14 or Wooboto. They are in between the Piccup and Family Skiff in weight. The Mayfly 14 particularly impressed me this Tex200 as it did everything very well, was a cheap and quick build, and can be transported in the
      > > back of a truck just like the Piccup Pram.

> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic