21648Re: Toon 2

  • nurse.josh
    Dec 4, 2010
      Hey Scott,

      I made the sprit sail out of green poly tarp as designed, but I'm rigging it as a gunter. I made a hollow 14' 8 sided bird's mouth about 3 1/4" inches in diameter and two octaganol solid laminate spars about 1 3/8" x 1 3/4" in cross section. I tapered the last 4 feet of each, and it got a little too thin at the tip of the 16-footer, but that seems to work out allright. I lashed the sail to the bottom 15' of the 16' gunter, leaving about 3' of reefable area under it and made a snotter for the 14' spar to use as the sprit. I might have to experiment a little bit with shaping the bottom 3 feet once I get it permanently rigged as it seemed to overlap the mast a little bit.

      I've set it up once using my black and decker workmate to hold the mast and it about blew into the neighbor's car with a 5-10 mph breeze, despite me sitting on the workmate and not having the bottom 3 feet attached to the mast at all!

      I'd like to experiment with a rig similar to that on "elver" by Steve Redmond: http://www.sredmond.com/elver.htm loose footed sprit (not sprit-boomed), possible bowsprit and jib and mizzen. I sketched the main up on the toon2 in proportion to the spars that I've made already and think it could be done with the main mast moved a bit forward, almost putting the step at bulkhead 2 and freeing up cabin space.

      Josh

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@...> wrote:

      > Josh,
      > I knew there was another. Good to hear youve got you sail finished. Did you make the sprit or lug sail? From poly or dacron? I ask because I have the hull alomost ready but not he sail.
      > Thats 4 Toons! Toontastic!
      > Scott
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "nurse.josh" <nursejosh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Scott,
      > >
      > > I don't know if you included my build of a toon2 in Longmont, CO, but I've just started. Have the mast, spars, and sail built, ready to finish, working on the rudder, and just cut out bulkhead 2 this week.
      > >
      > > Josh
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Looks like the toon 2 race was won, good looking toon2 pic posted at Jims website. There will soon be at least 3 of us with toons, maybe we can get together at one the events next year.
      > > > Scott

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic