21485Re: glass cloth over keel or under?

    Oct 5, 2010
      Alan,

      This is only based on my experience while whitewater canoeing in rocky
      rivers. The most vulnerable spot on a canoe is where the bow meets the
      bottom. Then the chines if you get cross ways against rocks and I see
      the advantage of exterior chine logs in that regard. Michalak writes
      about that in his build book. Reinforce the edges with glass if you can!
      In canoes I use kevlar felt bang plates.

      Another option is UMHW runners which are added to aluminum jet boat and
      downriver drift boat chine areas and even dog sled runners where I
      live. Same stuff as cutting boards are made from. Slippery and abrasion
      resistant as heck and never rot.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, alan enlow <alan.enlow@...> wrote:

      > I will cross the replaqcing bridge when reach it. I live around rocky
      shored lakes and will cover it with 6 oz biax and epoxiy an hope for
      best.

      The