      From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@...>
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: glass cloth over keel or under?
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 4, 2010, 7:30 PM

      Totally agree with you. If one has a concern due to hitting things, a
      thin "sacrificial" strip can be added to the bottom of the keel. Can be
      a strip of white oak or metal of choice and simply screwed into the
      bottom of the keel with a suitable bedding compound. Or a couple layers
      of 4" glass tape, just like on the bow or chines.

      Recently a builder was chided on the WB forum for using epoxy and screws
      installed from inside on the rub rails of his build. "How are you going
      to replace them?" was the outcry.

      The reaponse was "I don't intend to replace them or ram into any docks.
      But I also plan to use fenders."

      Anyway I see no reason to glass a keel and face the challenge of running
      the glass around a 90 degree angle. Either way I doubt it will likely
      have to be replaced any sooner than the bottom would.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <buildboats@...> wrote:
      > My apologies on not leaving the thread
      > Just curious - has anyone out there actually had to replace a keel on
      one of
      > these boats? I know the question comes up on how should the keel go
      on, and
      > I've heard the "if it needs replaced...", just wondering how ofter it
      needs to
      > if glassed, epoxied graphite coated to begin with? It would seem if
      one takes
      > care to repair any damage as occurs with some thickened epoxy that a
      keel may
      > never need to be replaced? just a thought
      > Tom
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "davidprice.1957" davidprice.1957@
      > >
      > > I asked the same question myself recently, I am building a Mayfly
      16. In the end I glassed the whole bottom of the boat, added the keel,
      then glassed over the keel. That way I should be able just to replace
      the keel at some stage in the future if it becomes damaged.

      > > David
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > forgot to say - the keel is 3/4 by 4 so it seems to just be a rock

      ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the
      joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide
      tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with
      screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking
      about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then
      glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The
      plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel.
      Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is
      another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong
      with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the
      keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add
      the skeg to the keel at the back.