21477Re: glass cloth over keel or under?

  • Tom
    Oct 4 3:49 PM
      My apologies on not leaving the thread

      Just curious - has anyone out there actually had to replace a keel on one of
      these boats? I know the question comes up on how should the keel go on, and
      I've heard the "if it needs replaced...", just wondering how ofter it needs to
      if glassed, epoxied graphite coated to begin with? It would seem if one takes
      care to repair any damage as occurs with some thickened epoxy that a keel may
      never need to be replaced? just a thought

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "davidprice.1957" <davidprice.1957@...> wrote:
      > I asked the same question myself recently, I am building a Mayfly 16. In the end I glassed the whole bottom of the boat, added the keel, then glassed over the keel. That way I should be able just to replace the keel at some stage in the future if it becomes damaged.
      > David
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
      > >
      > > forgot to say - the keel is 3/4 by 4 so it seems to just be a rock guard?
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > say - I've now got Mike's boat turned over (hull up) and getting ready to clip the copper wires down on the joints. I will wet the joints, add epoxy fillets, fair, and then double glass with 4 inch wide tape. I want to add the keel to the bottom straight onto the wood with screws from the inside and epoxy it to the hull. I am then thinking about putting a very generous fillet between the hull and keel and then glassing over the bottom hull with a 50 inch wide by 16 feet cloth. The plans seem to have you glass the bottom first and then add the keel. Others have caulked in the keel over the glass. I don't know if there is another permutation of epoxying the keel onto the glass? Anything wrong with my approach of adding the keel first and then glassing? Does the keel need a sharp edge to the water on the sides of it? Also need to add the skeg to the keel at the back.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, Dean

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic