20628Re: Reef point placement for RAIDER's lug sail

  • Nels A
    Mar 1, 2010
      Wojtek,

      The drawing is in the files here in the folder "Balanced Lug Notes and
      Ideas", together with Jim's article.

      Each batten is secured at both ends in one loop of line that goes
      through the boom and when pulled down to the boom is cleated off as well
      as supported by the lazy jacks. No knots to tie or untie. But as you
      mention the jiffy lines are longer than the reefing cringles on a
      standard set-up.

      I think jiffy reefing with a batten at each reef point would work best
      in a design with a slot-top as there is only the one line for each reef
      and it only has to be looped around the centrally located cleat under
      the boom. And it does not have to be secured immediately as the weight
      of the batten should lie along the boom while one rounds up, as with a
      junk sail that has no jiffy lines at all.

      If the slot top is closed then one requires a central "hatch" under the
      cleat on the boom to reach up through to tighten and cleat off the jiffy
      line. An overlapping velcroed flap like on a rain parka or or a
      water-tight zipper or something.

      This is another instance where a mizzen comes in handy when soloing (As
      well as a tiller control line.) - to hold the boat into the wind while
      the skipper moves ahead to secure the reef.

      Seems to me, installing a batten is a lot simpler than sewing in and
      reinforcing all those reef points if making your own sail and may even
      be stronger if the sail is made from polytarp. The trick is that the
      battens have to be flexible enough to bend some or the sail will be too
      flat, while at the same time having some weight so when the halyard is
      loosened the sail will drop. If too light you have to go forward to haul
      down the jiffy line by hand probably.

      Mike Mulcahy shows how in his junk sail article. He also shows how to
      add darts to give the sail some camber. He uses small screws to secure
      the battens so they are removable if one breaks or you want to adjust
      the "bendiness".

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/junkrig/index.htm

      Here is what Jim has to say about the jiffy lines.

      There is a reef line tied permanently to each corner patch of the new
      reef foot. Those lines run down through faired holes drilled in the boom
      end, then they run to an open based cleat near the center of the boom.
      In practice those two reef lines can really be just one continuous line
      running from one reef corner, through the boom, through the base of the
      cleat, throught the other hole and on to the other reef corner.

      The location of the holes in the boom is fairly critical. They must be
      placed such that when the reef lines are pulled tight and cleated, the
      corners of the reefed sail are pulled down and slightly outward to
      stretch the foot of the sail just the right amount. Expect to
      experiment. Since lug sails usually taper a bit, the reef line holes
      tend to fall slightly inside the unreefed attachments.

      The location of the cleat on the boom isn't too critical except that it
      should be in a place handy when reefing. Better towards the front of the
      boom than aft.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nels,
      >
      > I can't open the link to that Bolger sail plan alas. The only
      experience I had with jiffy reefing system so far was on a big sailboat
      (40 footer ) and it was big help because the sail dropped a bit down was
      just waiting in until a crew will walk along the boom and tie several
      reef lines, one after another.

      > On a small dinghy this advantage seems to be unneccesary - except
      when solo sailing. This is probably the reason Jim wrote about it (he
      says " always choose a boat for yourself, not for your family or your
      friends").

      > Raider is thought to be crewed by few oarsmen, so they can do this
      job. In addition, every extra rope on a small dinghy can make a mess
      when you don't expect it.

      > So, it seems to me that reef lines should be tied anyway, otherwise
      the sail will be blown out from its "jiffy" bed with strong wind.
      Including those fully battened I 'm afraid.

      <http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/2000/0615/index.htm#BALANC\
      \
      > > ED%20LUG%20JIFFY%20REEF>
      > >
      > > In fact, if you install a batten at each reef point, you need no
      ties at
      > > all. This illustrated by a big sail plan on a Bolger design. All
      reefing
      > > done from the pilot house. Very much like a junk sail. But more
      > > complicated than you require.

      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/APCHS5Ykbb3BdPQP-WWtx43DKHU2ElD9bgpvj_7Unr\
      \

      pnQjqeGNKQF25AhPQ0YeLn0hSq0ZGT6f9WzUk516cb/Balanced%20Lug%20Notes%20and%\
      \