      From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Nels A
      Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:26 PM
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Motorsailing?

      Thanks John, and John (Kohnen) and John (Bell)

      First, the leg measurements of the 25 inch version of the 6 HP Tohatsu
      are really significant for a shallow draft hull that may draw 12" or
      less. I wonder how well it does in shallow drive mode at 1/4 throttle.
      But you might want to go slow in those circumstances anyway. I really
      like the idea of a 9" prop, which is also available on the shorter leg
      versions I see now. And the alternator is an option.

      Vibration is a factor with a one cylinder engine as compared to the 2
      cylinder (8 HP) version which has an overhead cam as well. But now you
      are looking at 81 pounds vs: 55! And the purchase prices also go way up.
      The 9.8 is the same weight as the 8 but goes even further up the price
      ladder.

      Here in Canada, there are a lot of small lakes closed to gas outboards.
      Many others closed to gas outboards over 10 HP. So sport fishers have a
      9.8 or 9.9 in addition to their big motors. And a trolling motor as
      well. I think a lot of this has to do with both noise pollution and wake
      affects to nesting birds from the faster boats. A loon's nest can be
      washed out by one pass from a big boat and many small lakes have
      cottages along the shore and they are there for the quietness. Many guys
      who fish also have a kayak now, specifically designed for fishing from.
      Has become a whole new industry for the manufacturers.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "john_cockerham3" <john_cockerham3@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Nels
      >
      > The motor is fairly quite allowing normal conversation in the cockpit,
      but if someone in the bow is speaking, I back off to ΒΌ throttle to
      hear clearly. Noise is more apparent now that the bimini to has been
      installed. The top must reflect some of the noise back into the
      cockpit. I think engine vibrates a little more than my brother-in-law's
      2-cylinder Johnson.

      > The distance from the top of the mounting clamp to the center of the
      propeller is 32 inches. The distance from where leg and foot join with
      the engine assembly to the center of the propeller is 25 inches. The
      motor is mounted to an adjustable bracket with 13 inches of clearance to
      the transom, which allows complete tilting.

      > John
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "Nels A" arvent@ wrote:

      > > Hi John,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like an excellent choice for that
      hull
      > > design. I have heard from another sailor that he really likes the
      > > standard version and recommends it highly.
      > >
      > > Two things I am curious about:
      > >
      > > How would you evaluate the noise level when cruising at
      half-throttle? I
      > > believe a one-cylinder engine is a bit more noisy as it has to run
      at a
      > > higher rpm to get the same power as a 2 cylinder. Tohatsu does
      mention
      > > that the underwater exhaust really helps quiet things.
      > >
      > > Secondly, where do they measure the shaft length from? Is it from
      the
      > > engine clamp location to the bottom of the skeg? How far down below
      the
      > > hull is your prop?
      > >
      > > I also expect some might be interested in the clearance it requires
      > > be tilted upwards.
      > >
      > > OK sorry - that is more like 4 questions.
      > >
      > > Nels
      > >

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "john_cockerham3"
      <john_cockerham3@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I use this engine to power my Escargot canal boat. I needed the
      25"
      > > shaft because of the high transom. It pushes what is essentially an
      > > eighteen-foot-long barge at hull speed using about half throttle.
      So