20390Re: [Michalak] Re: Motorsailing?

  • John Kohnen
    Jan 1, 2010
      I've never heard of a rule like that, Andrew. Do you have any links that
      might enlighten us? The only currently made 4-stroke outboard with an air
      exhaust is the Honda 2 (maybe -- they've used both water exhaust and air
      exhaust over the years; my air-cooled mid-nineties Honda 2 has a below
      water exhaust), unless Briggs & Stratten are still making their outboard...

      Nels, a one cylinder engine doesn't have to turn faster to make the same
      power as a two cylinder one. The engine speed has to do with engine
      capacity (displacement) for a given power, and other tuning concerns.
      Roughly, a 5 cu. in. engine would have to turn much faster to produce 5
      hp. than a 10 cu. in. engine would, but a 10 cu. in. one cylinder engine
      and a 10 cu. in. two cylinder engine would turn about the same speed to
      produce 5 hp. The one cylinder engine _sounds_ like it's turning slower,
      because it has half the number of explosions per minute...

      On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:48:44 -0800, Andrew E wrote:

      > Regarding exhaust.. it is worth mentioning that many fresh water bodies
      > of water prohibit 2 cycle engines OR the venting of exhaust into the
      > water. Instead must be outboards with air exhaust and suitable muffler.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you
      can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying
      virtues. (Elizabeth Taylor)
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic