20389Re: Motorsailing?

  • owen
    Jan 1, 2010
      Nels and Stan, I am dreaming along those lines with my Twister. I like the jukebox3 pilot house idea very much, like you say it is a bit too much for me to tow at present but I really like pilot houses. I am thinking of how to make a dodger for my twister. A self bailing cockpit is something to ponder over as well, so many options :)

      I got the rear deck put on this afternoon, I put pictures in the twister folder.

      Owen

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > Right on Stan,
      >
      > I have the Jukebox3 plans and also am considering the Long Micro with
      > similar pilothouse added.
      >
      > Both these designs are more suited to being kept on a mooring as they
      > are not so easy to trailer - let alone with a small 4 banger econo
      > vehicle.The advantage is that one could go out for two weeks or longer
      > with such a design.
      >
      > A small folding dodger added to Twister offers some versatility in that
      > regard as it is quite trailerable and still offers a fair degree of
      > shelter if the weather turns cool or rainy. Disadvantage, in my view is
      > lack of a self-draining cockpit if caught out under a down pour. Would
      > be interesting to deck over the cockpit like on Micro and Blobster for
      > example.
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/blobster/index.htm
      >
      > Small hatch over the foot-well and drains outboard on the enclosed deck
      > aft.
      >
      > One could still handle the steering and sails while inside if steering
      > lines ran in under the cabin as well as the trolling motor controls.
      >
      > I like the idea of a small motorsailer with ability to sail/motor from
      > inside. Yet still a nice little cockpit when the weather is nice.
      >
      > A motor sailer can be quite small in my view:-)
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scr243" <scr243@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The other aspect of motorsailing is to have a boat that is actually
      > designed for that purpose. I'm thinking of a boat with a pilot house
      > cabin, short rig, and economical motor. There was an article in
      > Duckworks about "Terminal Trawlers". The idea was to buy a used cabin
      > sailboat, mount a larger than normal 4 stroke outboard and motor most of
      > the time. The Jukebox design with an enlarged pilot house might be a
      > good motorsailer. Certainly the pilot house would extend your sailing
      > season up in the North country.
      > >
      > > Stan
      > >

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" arvent@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Very strange Stan, since my previous location often had too much
      > wind as
      > > > you refer to. Sailing with jib only while hanging over the rail gets
      > old
      > > > fast as well:-)
      > > >
      > > > So drifting along in light zephyrs is a different experience. Thus
      > my
      > > > interest in some kind of way to get to the next patch of ripples
      > showing
      > > > up on the surface.
      > > >
      > > > Great responses. A trolling motor seems to be a viable solution. A
      > > > couple of deep-cycle batteries add ballast as well if strapped down
      > > > properly amidships. Already have a pretty good solar panel with
      > > > controller and we get lots of sun here in summer. (4 AM to 10 PM in
      > > > mid-summer.)
      > > >
      > > > I looked at going electric only, but available locations to
      > re-charge
> [...]
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic