20386Re: Motorsailing?

  • Nels A
    Jan 1, 2010
      Hi John,

      Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like an excellent choice for that hull
      design. I have heard from another sailor that he really likes the
      standard version and recommends it highly.

      Two things I am curious about:

      How would you evaluate the noise level when cruising at half-throttle? I
      believe a one-cylinder engine is a bit more noisy as it has to run at a
      higher rpm to get the same power as a 2 cylinder. Tohatsu does mention
      that the underwater exhaust really helps quiet things.

      Secondly, where do they measure the shaft length from? Is it from the
      engine clamp location to the bottom of the skeg? How far down below the
      hull is your prop?

      I also expect some might be interested in the clearance it requires to
      be tilted upwards.

      OK sorry - that is more like 4 questions.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "john_cockerham3" <john_cockerham3@...>
      > I use this engine to power my Escargot canal boat. I needed the 25"
      shaft because of the high transom. It pushes what is essentially an
      eighteen-foot-long barge at hull speed using about half throttle. So
      far I've been pleased with performance and the 5-amp charger supplies my
      meager electrical needs.
      > John
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" arvent@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Forgot to add the link to the last post.
      > >
      > > http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/6_4st.html
      > >
      > > Nels - a bit spacey myself on this New Years Eve:-)
      > >

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Tohatsu recently introduced it's new "Sail Pro" 6 hp 4-stroke,
      > > > specifically designed for sailboats.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic