      From: Doug Pollard <dougpol1@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, December 3, 2009 5:08:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: Musicbox hybrid questions -- Caution!

      Eugen Ruark that owned Ruarks marina in Deltavill Va. Had a marina skiff
      that was built out of plywood probably 30 years. Everybody used her to
      clean the sides of their boats and the kids used her for a soft crabing
      skiff. They kept copper paint on her bottom and she was pink. Whatever
      white paint they could scrape out of the mostly empty paint cans was
      mixed with a little copper paint and used to paint her. In the winter
      she set with rainwater in her and often sunk and usually had ice in her
      all winter. She was drug up and off again on the oyster shore. She was
      soaked through with saltwater and likely had 30 coats of paint on her
      bottom and top. I helped drag her out of the water one time and she must
      have weighed a 1/2 a ton.
      If you'll remember white paint in those days was made mostly of white
      lead and linseed oil. Between it and copper, rotting was not and option.
      The plywood looked like it might have had resorsinal glue in it. The
      glue looked like it. We used to call it Navy plywood. I don't think that
      was the correct name.
      Doug