20145Re: Musicbox hybrid questions

  • oarelse1016
    Dec 2, 2009
      Hi John,
      If you want a roomy, comfortable cabin, Picara does fill that bill. Plenty of privacy for the ladies. Sleeping 4 is probably possible, two in the cabin and two kids on the deck.

      Picara has a gaff and a mizzen and it takes me about 30 minutes to get her rigged.

      My sail is fairly terrible and I'm in the midst of sewing a better one, but if there is much wind she will zoom right along. I turn on the engine and drop the sail when I have to go into the wind much, but part of that is because I have a pathetic polytarp sail, part of it is because I sail in Lake Powell, and there are a lot of narrow areas that make sailing into the wind problematic, and part of it is the big cabin that has a lot of windage.

      Picara isn't the easiest boat to get into and out of from the bow. So if your wife has mobility problems you would want to put her stern to shore, and then she is easy to board. Well, enough said. I think if MB isn't what you are looking for, you might not be interested in a bigger version.... but then again you might.

      All the best

      Dave

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels A" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > Just to add further to the confusion:-)
      >
      > For simplicity to build - another flat-bottom design is Jukebox3.
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/jukebox3/index.htm
      >
      > It is 200 lb heavier than Musicbox2 and of course 4 ft. longer, so
      > trailering, building/storage space might be an issue. But I feel is a
      > viable option if you want enclosed sleeping space for 4 people. In fact
      > the best option in a Michalak boat of this general design and trailering
      > weight.
      >
      > One could modify it so it has quarter berths aft, with sleeping foot
      > room extending aft under the cockpit hold about to where it shows the
      > figure sitting in the cockpit in the cartoon. The forward ends of these
      > quarter berths could provide seating under the "Navigator" cabin. The
      > forward berths could be relocated more forward with sleeping foot room
      > under the forward deck. You still retain the walk-through access out off
      > the bow and onto the beach. Porta-potti stored under the aft deck
      > between the 2 aft quarter berths.
      >
      > Camping type cooking could be done in the cockpit with the cooler
      > accessible through the hold hatch. Optionally also done under the cabin
      > if one of the quarter berth cushions is flipped over ontop of the other
      > one which I have done with my Micro. This also allows access to the pots
      > and pans stored under the quarter berth removable storage lids in the
      > berth with the mattress removed.
      >
      > I would also look at moving the mast forward more and adding a mizzen
      > aft.
      >
      > I could go on, but you get the general picture:-)
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Gary,
      > > I've been leaning towards a flat bottom more for the simplicity sake.
      > I want to build the boat over the summer and not stretch it out over a
      > years time. Of course the epoxy should dry/bake in the summer sun
      > fairly quickly but I'll still need to figure in drying time. I've been
      > trying to find someone who's sailed the Mbox so they can give me a
      > sailing report. I think my next step will be to get a set of both the
      > Blob's and Mbox's plans, do some take-offs and ciphering, and build some
      > models.
      > > John Boy

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic