20139Re: Musicbox hybrid questions

  • Nels A
    Dec 1, 2009
      John,

      Just to add further to the confusion:-)

      For simplicity to build - another flat-bottom design is Jukebox3.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/jukebox3/index.htm

      It is 200 lb heavier than Musicbox2 and of course 4 ft. longer, so
      trailering, building/storage space might be an issue. But I feel is a
      viable option if you want enclosed sleeping space for 4 people. In fact
      the best option in a Michalak boat of this general design and trailering
      weight.

      One could modify it so it has quarter berths aft, with sleeping foot
      room extending aft under the cockpit hold about to where it shows the
      figure sitting in the cockpit in the cartoon. The forward ends of these
      quarter berths could provide seating under the "Navigator" cabin. The
      forward berths could be relocated more forward with sleeping foot room
      under the forward deck. You still retain the walk-through access out off
      the bow and onto the beach. Porta-potti stored under the aft deck
      between the 2 aft quarter berths.

      Camping type cooking could be done in the cockpit with the cooler
      accessible through the hold hatch. Optionally also done under the cabin
      if one of the quarter berth cushions is flipped over ontop of the other
      one which I have done with my Micro. This also allows access to the pots
      and pans stored under the quarter berth removable storage lids in the
      berth with the mattress removed.

      I would also look at moving the mast forward more and adding a mizzen
      aft.

      I could go on, but you get the general picture:-)

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Huft <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Gary,
      > I've been leaning towards a flat bottom more for the simplicity sake.
      I want to build the boat over the summer and not stretch it out over a
      years time. Of course the epoxy should dry/bake in the summer sun
      fairly quickly but I'll still need to figure in drying time. I've been
      trying to find someone who's sailed the Mbox so they can give me a
      sailing report. I think my next step will be to get a set of both the
      Blob's and Mbox's plans, do some take-offs and ciphering, and build some
      models.
      > John Boy
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic