      From: gary <gbship@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, November 30, 2009 9:44:18 PM
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Musicbox hybrid questions

      John:
      I used to sail my old Bolger/Payson Zephyr design on St. Joe Bay and at Alligator Harbor, a bit to the east. The narrow, flat bottom would do some pounding on the typical summer afternoon chop at both places; not bad, but noticeable. The tack and tape, five panel hull on my Frolic2 does much better, even though I think the bottom panel is actually wider and the overall waterline probably shorter than the Zephyr. I'd expect the same different between the Blobster and Musicbox hulls, although both are quite a bit wider than the Folic2. (The best riding small boat I ever had was a v-bottom catboat by Bolger, but it didn't have a cabin . . .)

      There's not that much difference in setup time or difficulty between a gaff and balanced lug (which I prefer) at this size, especially when you get used to the routine. If you want a balanced lug on a Musicbox hull, ask Jim when you order the plans and he can probably give you a pretty good estimate of where the mast should be relocated to accommodate that.

      Gary