19879Re: Easy build catamaran thoughts invited.

  • graeme19121984
    Oct 4, 2009
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "gary" <gbship@...> wrote:

      > I think it's a 6.5 foot plug but as far as I can tell, that's the only change. I don't have a separate set up plans, but have been building from the Trilars plans with 4-foot sections added in the appropriate areas. the hardest to do (I haven't gotten to it yet) will be the side decks because those extentions are tapered whereas those on the hull are straight.

      19.5Ft. WL of say, 19ft. Fineness ratio now 19/2.5=7.6. Looking good for a cruising tri. Are you also lengthening the amas? Moving their bows forward? I wonder: bigger sail, and tiny outboard?

      > Another thought on cheap tris is Bolger once did a design where the builder did the main hull and then used an old Hobie 16 for the amas, cross beams & rig. Had one of his sugar scoop bows. I think hull was around 4 feet wide and around 20 feet long (may have been longer) and could sleep four under its low decks in a pinch. Had a center cockpit. Interesting design, althought the bow gave some concerns for punching through the square waves we get in shallow waters around here.
      > Gary

      I heard about a Camper trimaran done with the Hobie bits. I didn't realise it went to centre cockpit and decked over accomodation. I thought it to be an open boat, and pointy up front. Well now, that's interesting.

      Graeme

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic