19874Re: [Michalak] Re: Easy build catamaran thoughts invited.

  • Douglas Pollard
    Oct 4, 2009
      Douglas Pollard wrote:

      > graeme19121984 wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>
      > <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "gary" <gbship@...> wrote:
      > > > I am, with Jim M's advice, building a 4-foot longer version of
      > > > Trilars. That can cruise two for a long time, and carry three on
      > > > short trips.
      > >
      > > Ah, so that's a 5.5Ft plug in Toto now? Is it really that easy?
      > >
      > > ~ Graeme ~ ___/) ~ ~
      > >

      > Graeme,
      > I don't know if this will make any difference to your thinking or
      > not. It's my understanding that catamarans do not plane and that they
      > go fast because of the narrowness of hulls providing a very high hull
      > speed. I don't know about Trimarans with the center hull wider they my
      > plane on the center hull and just have high hull speeds on the outer
      > hulls. I have no idea if this applies to what you are doing but thought
      > to throw it out for consideration.
      >

      > Doug

      I guess what I was thinking when I wrote the previous post is. That the
      modern 30ft'ish trimarans I have seen have very narrow center hulls that
      widen out above the water line. They basically have a long narrow foot
      well in side the boat with bunks on either side. These extremely
      narrow center hulls also have very high hull speeds. But a small
      trimaran would seem to need a wide hull amidships to have any usable
      space. A wide hull would have to plane. I'm wondering if the bow would
      be able to climb on top the water and drop down on a plane at some
      speed. With the outer hulls not planing the main hull would have to lift
      them as well. AS they lift at the bow the hull in the water would get
      shorter so hull speed would go down. They would not likely plane with
      such a narrow none plaining hull shape. Would they then drag the
      center hull speed down. I don't pretend to know much about trimarans
      but these are kind of my what if's. I would like to hear some
      thinking on these musings. Doug
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic