19745Re: Observations re: Underlayment plywood from China

  • Chris Crandall
    Sep 8, 2009
      >> shipping added $199.00. so $37 for a sheet, plus $50 per sheet for
      >> shipping. That's just not affordable.

      > It's possible that the shipping price wouldn't change for a larger
      > order, up to a point. There's usually a certain amount charged for
      > crating and a minimum that the shipper requires to transport even a
      > couple of sheets. That's where pooling an order with someone else can
      > be useful. I doubt it would be $50/sheet for shipping if you order
      > 10 or 20 sheets, for instance.
      > Jon Kolb

      It's true. And I'm not saying that the companies are not being sensible.
      But I don't need 10-20 sheets, I need 3-4. Buying 10-20 sheets would
      make my purchase *really* expensive. It's just not in my budget to buy
      for the future now.

      > "scsbmsjoe" scsbmsjoe@... scsbmsjoe Date: Mon Sep 7, 2009 11:50
      > If you are out of range of major plywook suppliers, I suggest you
      > check with your local independent lumberyard. They may have periodic
      > shipments from suppliers and by combining with their other orders
      > your shipping costs could be reduced. It's worth a try. Let us know
      > if it works.

      I have called every major and minor lumberyard in the region, including
      those that specialize in serving hobbyists or that sell a wide range of
      hard-to-get woods (including the delightful Paxton Woodsource). Nothing,
      alas.

      I think I'm going to end with solid Honduran mahogany, which will be
      significantly cheaper.

      -Chris
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic