19743Re: Observations re: Underlayment plywood from China

  • ted_major
    Sep 7, 2009
      Tom--

      Here's a photo of a leftover scrap: 3 thick alternating plies in the middle with 2 VERY thin face plies. Seems like regular plywood, and I don't know that it would score and snap any easier than any other 5mm plywood. Of course, I bought this over a year ago, so the product may have changed since then; YMMV.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ted_major/3897590127

      Chris--thanks for the compliment. Here's the seat I built: it's a box with 1x6 sides and 5.2mm ply top and bottom, with a round screw-in hatch set into the top. I sized it to fit a floating boat cushion, but I sat too high to clear my legs on the return stroke with the cushion, so I use it unpadded. One of these days I'll get around to picking up a closed-cell foam camping matress to cut a pad from.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ted_major/3898373980

      (It's amazing how dirty the inside of a boat gets just sitting upside down on a covered boat dock!)

      Tidmarsh

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "ted_major" <tidmarsh.major@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tom--
      >
      > I used 5.2mm, and it had 5 orthogonal plies.
      >
      > Tidmarsh
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tomhenry2" <tomhenry2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ted,
      > >
      > > From what I read online about the Ultraply - it seems that the wood grain of all of the plys runs in the same direction, meaning no plys running across the others.
      > >
      > > From your experience actually using it in building - can you confirm that?
      > >
      > > Your pics look like you actually had some UltraplyXL -- what thicknesses did you use and was that all 5-ply?
      > >
      > > Thanks a lot,
      > > TomH

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic