19715Re: [Michalak] Re: MDO

  • Joe Stromski
    Sep 3, 2009
      My recently completed AF4 is a combo of the 2 materials referenced
      below. 1/2" MDO (unknown brand) for the bottom, and 1/4" 5ply Baltic
      Birch "premium underlayment" for the sides. Both purchased from the
      local Menards. Both materials seemed of a very high quality and I'm
      happy with the finished results. Put a layer of cloth on the bottom, wet
      out with graphited epoxy for abrasion resistance. The balance of the
      boat was epoxy coated, primed with Benjamin Moore oil based primer, and
      painted with oil based gloss porch and floor enamel from True Value. I'm
      certainly hoping the materials are long-lived, of course only time will
      tell.
      Regards to all,
      Joe

      recree8 wrote:

      > For those not familiar with MDO - the spec sheets for the various kinds
      > are at this site:
      >
      > http://www.olypanel.com/signMaking/ <http://www.olypanel.com/signMaking/>
      >
      > The Crezon /Two Step is about the best "bang for the buck" whereas the
      > Signal is the premium quality brand and lighter in weight. Both are far
      > superior to marine grade fir plywood.
      >
      > The big advantage with this is that the suface has been Heat and
      > pressure sealed with a resin overlay that totally prevents checking and
      > is ready to paint and engineered to use polyurethane-acrylic paints and
      > caulking used for exterior house finishing. No epoxy/fiberglass
      > finishing is required except below the waterline for better
      > waterproofing or if finicky, to prevent abrasion wear on the deck
      > surface.
      >
      > Disadvantage is it cannot be finished bright, but I would suggest this
      > applies to most plywood.
      >
      > The topsides on my boat have been primed with epoxy coating before the
      > paint but that is sort of a belt and suspenders option.
      >
      > But - and this is a big BUT - there is now imitation MDO arriving from
      > off-shore I have heard and all bets are off with that. My supplier told
      > me that if it doesn't have "Made in USA" or "Made in Canada "stamped on
      > the edges of each sheet it is not the real stuff.
      >
      > My guys have also suggested there is some pretty good "Baltic Birch"
      > coming in from Europe that is made to high standards. Now birch veneers
      > are supposed to be rot prone, but if properly protected will last a long
      > time. There is a boat builder in Poland who uses it and has great
      > success, and many kayaks are made with it over there.
      >
      > Nels
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "recree8" <arvent@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Chris,
      > >
      > > On two occasions I "piggy-backed" an order of thinner MDO on a bulk
      > order of construction weight stuff at my supplier and was not charged
      > any freight.
      > >
      > > Heavier MDO is used for concrete forms, and some is used in other
      > areas of home construction. I wanted 3/8" crezone and they only had 5/8"
      > in stock.I ordered 10 sheets and had to wait. The next day I got a call
      > it was on its way and was nicely wrapped and strapped with two sheets of
      > luan on the outside for protection. They threw it in too:-)
      > >
      > > Obviously this would not happen with marine grade as it is not used in
      > home construction but it is always worth a try to tell the retailer what
      > you want it for and see if they can help you.
      > >
      > > I do know that Olympic panel products are used to doing this as their
      > sales rep told me about it!
      > >
      > > http://www.olypanel.com/concreteForm/faq.php
      > <http://www.olypanel.com/concreteForm/faq.php>
      > >
      > > Not sure if that helps you though. What are you building?
      > >
      > > Nels

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic