19711Re: [Michalak] Re: Observations re: Underlayment plywood from China

  • Douglas Pollard
    Sep 3, 2009
      David Cassidy wrote:

      > Though the demo video shows a floor installer scoring and snapping the
      > sheet, I tried several times and couldn't do it unless the scoring was
      > so deep that ANY sheet product would snap with such a line cut into it.
      >
      > DC
      >
      > On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Carl Haddick wrote:
      >
      > > There is ultraply info at http://www.morelandcompany.com/
      > <http://www.morelandcompany.com/>
      > > ultraply.htm (I
      > > have no connection with that company).
      > >
      > > The good news from that site is 'high solid marine grade phenolic glue
      > > line - will not delaminate.'
      > >
      > > There are also claims for things like 'clear face with no defects.'
      > >
      > > The bad news, as I see it, is '3 ply uni-directional core,' which I
      > > think means the grain all lays the same way. Another claim, seeming
      > > reinforce that to me, 'score and snaps with a knife for easy
      > > installation.'
      > >
      > > Of course, a plank will also have all its grain running the same way,
      > > too.
      > >
      > > As a rank beginner any opinion I have is easily suspect! :-)
      > >
      > > Carl
      > >
      > > On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:17:11PM -0000, aub77 wrote:
      > >> I once ordered meranti from Jacques Merten's site at
      > http://plywood.boatbuildercentral.com/
      > <http://plywood.boatbuildercentral.com/>
      > >> and the shipping was not too bad. It depends on how many sheets
      > >> you need as to whether it is worth it. The meranti was some
      > >> wonderful stuff to work with and was nearly flawless. I think I
      > >> ordered about 6 sheets and the shipping was about 80-100 dollars (a
      > >> few years back). He charges a flat rate for orders under 13 sheets
      > >> and quotes a rate for more sheets than that. I don't know what the
      > >> current rates are but you can act like you are going to order and
      > >> then cancel out before the final confirmation. Combining orders
      > >> with someone makes the shipping costs really good (which is what I
      > >> did).
      > >>
      > >> --Wayne
      > >>
      > >> --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com

      One of the main reason plywood has the ability to cover whols sides
      decks of a boat is that it has cross grain laminates. To be used in
      large sheets it will need to have a sheet laid one way with a second
      sheet laid the other. If you don't want to do that, then maybe a good
      use for this sub flooring might be for lapstrake construction with the
      grain running lengthwise the boat. A person might be better off to just
      go buy some boards and plank the boat with it. Looks like to me with the
      grain all running in one direction there is no advantage in using
      plywood. The boat will require the same number of frames and stringers
      as a carvel or lap streak boat. And will wind up being weaker and more
      flexible than a boat with cross grained plywood one.

      Doug
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic