19708Re: Observations re: Underlayment plywood from China

  • aub77
    Sep 3, 2009
      I once ordered meranti from Jacques Merten's site at http://plywood.boatbuildercentral.com/ and the shipping was not too bad. It depends on how many sheets you need as to whether it is worth it. The meranti was some wonderful stuff to work with and was nearly flawless. I think I ordered about 6 sheets and the shipping was about 80-100 dollars (a few years back). He charges a flat rate for orders under 13 sheets and quotes a rate for more sheets than that. I don't know what the current rates are but you can act like you are going to order and then cancel out before the final confirmation. Combining orders with someone makes the shipping costs really good (which is what I did).

      --Wayne

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

      > My $0.02--I have had grave trouble getting top quality plywood for
      > boating projects. For a largish displacement powerboat I am building,
      > getting in half-inch MDO served perfectly well for the hull and bottom.
      >
      > But, for the cabinsides, I wanted some quality plywood that is lighter
      > weight.
      >
      > I can order up plywood sheets of any type or quality, but the delivery
      > fees here in Lawrence, KS, make them laughably expensive. A couple of
      > sheets of quarter-inch plywood end up costing in the neighborhood of
      > $200 a sheet.
      >
      > It turns out that I can build the cabin sides out of first quality
      > Honduran mahogany for less than meranti (Phillipine "mahogany") plywood.
      > There is simply no way that I can find to make shipping costs affordable.
      >
      > -Chris

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic