19109Re: Balanced Lug Sail Question

  • Norm Wolfe
    Apr 7, 2009
      Concerning the yard tendency to hang vertical when being raised and lowered: On both NormsBoat and RAIDER, I made the yard heavier on the fore end than the aft end. On NormsBoat, I made the wooden yard hollow for the aft 60% and solid for the forward 40%. It raises and lowers conveniently. It is not perfectly level, but is not a spear, either. On RAIDER, which has an aluminum yard, I made both ends from wood, to have a large hole at each end. The forward piece of wood is about 14" long; the aft one only about 4". Both are epoxied into the aluminum tube. Same result: the yard raises and lowers somewhat horizontal.

      I use a parrel on the yard, and am going to try Jim's method this summer. For the down haul, I tie it to the boom just in front of the mast, lead it down half way around the mast to a turning point, back up to the boom but just aft of the mast, over the boom (no block needed) and down to the cleat. I lean on the boom while tightening, and it serves to keep the boom next to the mast as well as tightening the leading edge.

      Great rig.
      Norm

      (Quoted from Gary's message)
      > The second problem is as the sail is raised or lowered, the aft end >of the yard hangs down from the mast and can flail around like a >demented club.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic