19106Re: Balanced Lug Sail Question

  • David
    Apr 6, 2009
      As you've no doubt seen from studying the Storer drawings, he eschews parrel beads and such. I have now built two balanced lug rigs with that type of setup, and am quite happy with the simplicity, adjustability, and nearly foolproof nature. There are all sorts of setups for a balanced lug, any most of them would work just fine... but two of the most respected names in small boat design use this type: Ian Oughtred and Michael Storer. Having sailed our Goat Island Skiff a good bit over the last few years, I can see why.

      Cheers,
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks

      "When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice"

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "windgypsy34" <djchase@...> wrote:

      > As our Mikesboat nears completion, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding handling the balanced lug main. I'm especially concerned about the yard flailing around as the sail is hoisted and lowered. We are planning to use the halyard system as shown on Michael Storer's website that brings the halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast, and finally ending at the lower end of the yard. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I've sailed larger sloops for 40 years, but this rig is a new venture. Dave

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic