17742Re: AF3 motor refit - beefing up the transom?

  • Frank San Miguel
    Jun 2, 2008
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd stick with the seagull, myself. They have a 4:1 reduction gear,
      which is twice the ratio you'll find on any other "high thrust"
      outboard. This means a bigger prop and a LOT more thrust at the speeds
      relevant to a sailboat. With tides, I'd want that thrust. Consider
      hanging onto it. (Otherwise let us know when you post it to Ebay!)
      Don't let its age worry you. With some maintenance they can last a
      very, very long time.

      This particular seagull has been in my family since the mid 1960's so
      it has some emotional value, and I do like the low gear ratio.
      However, I'd also like something that has a clutch and is cleaner and
      quieter. If I sell it, I post a note to the forum.

      > As for the transom, I'd go with what Max did. It worked well. Though
      if you're going to use a metal bracket you could probably just add
      framing lumber where it bolts on and skip the plywood. Just make sure
      there's MORE framing lumber in front of it, screwed to the sides or
      wales to transfer the force to the hull more broadly. Just remember
      that the strongest parts are the chines and wales, then get the
      motor's force transferred to them and you'll be fine.

      Thanks for the suggestions!

      Frank