17738Re: AF3 motor refit - beefing up the transom?

  • vexatious2001
    Jun 1, 2008
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd stick with the seagull, myself. They have a 4:1 reduction
      gear, which is twice the ratio you'll find on any other "high
      thrust" outboard. This means a bigger prop and a LOT more thrust at
      the speeds relevant to a sailboat. With tides, I'd want that thrust.
      Consider hanging onto it. (Otherwise let us know when you post it to
      Ebay!) Don't let its age worry you. With some maintenance they can
      last a very, very long time.

      I don't know what horsepower the Seagull is but there is a lot
      to be said for using what you already have. It sure does not
      take much h.p. to push an AF3; I used an old 2 hp and almost
      never went over 1/2 throttle.

      > As for the transom, I'd go with what Max did. It worked well.
      Though if you're going to use a metal bracket you could probably
      just add framing lumber where it bolts on and skip the plywood. Just
      make sure there's MORE framing lumber in front of it, screwed to the
      sides or wales to transfer the force to the hull more broadly. Just
      remember that the strongest parts are the chines and wales, then get
      the motor's force transferred to them and you'll be fine.

      I would probably add a backing pad of plywood (say 1/2 inch or so)
      on the inside of the transom where the bracket bolts, and put
      some framing inside the "lazarette" to tie that pad into
      the bulkhead ahead of the transom.

      Also, an outboard mounted to one side of an AF3 is in danger of
      dunking in a capsize. I would give some thought to re-mounting
      the rudder off to one side so that the motor can be mounted
      closer to the center of the transom.

      A lifting bracket heps with the vertical positioning
      of the engine; When you are sitting on the back deck
      and the stern is down, you don't want the powerhead to
      submerge, but when you go forward into the slot, the transom
      can raise quite a bit, pulling the prop and water intake out
      of the water.

      Max
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic