15464Re: boarding ladders

  • Bill Nolen
    Sep 3, 2007
      Rob, I ended up taking the easy way out and used the bolt holes that
      the factory drilled to hold the plywood-aluminum-plywood transom
      sandwich. On my boat the aluminum transom is sandwiched between two
      pieces of 3/4" plywood. Here is a photo showing the transom before I
      went crazy and started adding a fishfinder transducer and the ladder.

      http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20transom%20before%
      20changes1.JPG

      And a photo showing my ladder mounted. If you look closely you can
      see the four SS bolts that are holding the 3/4" ladder mounting board
      to the transom plywood. I have a 3/4" spacer under the mounting
      board. I'm going tp have to tweak the rope a bit to get the steps
      where I want them.

      http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%
      20open.2JPG.jpg

      Here is a close of the four house door hinges that I used for the
      step hinges. It will be interesting to see how long they last before
      rust sets in!

      http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20hinges.jpg

      And two photos showing the ladder folded for travel.

      http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20transom.jpg

      http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20closed%
      20right%20side.JPG

      If you or anyone else comes up with a design using one or two metal
      rods for the step hinges, i would sure like to view the design. I do
      want to build a boarding ladder for my Harmonica.

      Thanks Rob for all your help,

      Bill

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
      wrote:

      > Interesting problem on the classic aluminum hull! I guess I'd make
      something like a giant clothespin on top. Like a 2x10 vertically on
      both outside and inside with a subtantial piece of filler wood
      between to get it to the right thickness to sandwich the transom.
      Heavy and awkward, but it should work and would preserve the hull in
      tact.
      > --Rob

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic