14427Re: Prop Question: Will a couple of nicks cause the prop to slip?

  • vexatious2001
    Mar 1, 2007
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

      > If you suspect prop hub slip take the prop off and take it to a
      > *qualified* shop to have it checked by torquing. Should be a nominal
      > or no charge. A prop can slip yet appear still firmly seated in the
      > propeller housing.
      >
      > Bryant - former OMC mechanic

      If these people have a set of pitch blocks, you might also
      have them check the blades on a block to see if any have been
      twisted in a way not immediately apparent to the naked eye.

      A flat bottom boat can occasionally feed air into the propeller,
      especially when heading into the wind. Also, a "keel" or "skid"
      extending too close to the engine, or not properly tapered, or
      too big can also occasionally feed air into the propeller.

      The center skid as designed on the AF4 ends a couple feet in
      front of the outboard, and as long as this "1 by 4" is tapered
      to any degree, the skid should not be a problem unless you
      cut your transon real high.

      How high is the transom, measured vertically (not along the face
      of the transom) from the plane of the boat's bottom to the
      top of the transsom?

      My AF4 will usually get air into the prop on farily tight turns
      at planing speeds. I think I have my transon cut to 16 1/4 inches,
      but different outboard motors will tolerate different transom
      heights.

      Have you tried another propeller?

      Max
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic