13622Re: Marine of standard plywood

  • jtweigandt
    Oct 3, 2006
      I happen to have a very functional ACX plywood boat covered in
      polyester laminating resin and 6 oz glass living in my back yard... Now
      the punch line.. The boat is over 20 years old now.

      If you follow the rules, polyester is fine. You have to do a little
      homework though. Laminating resin does not have any wax in it and
      penetrates the wood well to adhere, and stays tacky even when cured to
      accept the next layer. Most polyester resin purchased in the can from
      the auto parts store or Wal mart, does have wax or other agents in it
      that rise to the surface and protect from air during polymerization,
      letting you have the smooth non tacky surface. If you try to bond a
      layer of glass to this, you will indeed be disappointed.

      So be careful when "experts" speak off the cuff. All that said, I like
      epoxy resin better.. handling properties, odor, adhesion, and the fact
      that it is more close to water proof.

      John

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
      wrote:

      > On Tuesday 03 October 2006 17:34, howgegoboat wrote:
      > > What about using polyester resin and glass just over the bottom?
      >
      > Polyester resin is not an adhesive, it really should not be used to
      cover a
      > wooden core.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Kenneth Grome