12882Re: [Michalak] Re: Paddling a Toto

  • Chris Hill
    Jun 1, 2006
      As an experienced double-paddler in both whitewater boats (which turn
      even when you don't want to) and sea kayaks (which track straight for
      50 yards without any stroking), I'll just say... see what Rob said. I
      think he nailed it. And as for the drip-on-your-lap problem,
      seakayakers sometimes put little rubber cuffs on the paddles about a
      foot inboard of the blade to prevent that.

      Well, I'll add one more thing to Rob's advice - those squiggles in the
      wake will eventually straighten out even without a skeg. It helps if
      you maintain a steady rhythm while paddling. Steady gentle stroking
      rather than giant lunges and occasional big corrections. Tiny
      corrections become part of your stroke, kind of like riding a bicycle.
      But a skeg will make things simpler on flatwater.

      Chris

      On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 09:37 AM, Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

      > I think your problem is mostly technique. I should know, since I seem
      > to have the same problem. First, I can't see much reason for an offset
      > paddle unless you're paddling into a strong wind, and the offset seems
      > harder on the wrists. Here's the main trick. You're trying to make it
      > work with the paddle as horizontal as possible, and that's not wha
      > Toto is designed for. She's meant to be paddled with the paddle quite
      > close to vertical. Almost like a single paddle that you can flip to
      > switch sides. This brings the thrust in closer, which yaws the boat
      > much less. I hate how this gets me wet, so I actually find a single
      > paddle more civilized in Toto. With the trust brought in closer, the
      > skeg is enough as designed. To paddle "flatter", you need a bigger
      > skeg, a higher seat, and probably a narrower boat! --Rob

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic