12877Re: Paddling a Toto

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Jun 1, 2006
      I think your problem is mostly technique. I should know, since I seem to have the same problem. First, I can't see much reason for an offset paddle unless you're paddling into a strong wind, and the offset seems harder on the wrists. Here's the main trick. You're trying to make it work with the paddle as horizontal as possible, and that's not wha Toto is designed for. She's meant to be paddled with the paddle quite close to vertical. Almost like a single paddle that you can flip to switch sides. This brings the thrust in closer, which yaws the boat much less. I hate how this gets me wet, so I actually find a single paddle more civilized in Toto. With the trust brought in closer, the skeg is enough as designed. To paddle "flatter", you need a bigger skeg, a higher seat, and probably a narrower boat! --Rob