12544Re: Rants about bureaucracy based on too little info

  • Lincoln Ross
    Apr 4, 2006
      IMHO, any regulation of rowboats is pointless and counterproductive.
      It puts people in canoes, whi8ch are not regulated. Canoes are fine if
      you know what you are doing, but if you don't, you can get into
      trouble faster than with rowboats. I'm not beefing about the Coast
      Guard in general, I'm sure that in most cases they are very
      reasonable. I'm beefing about whoever wrote the rules and the mindset
      that generated them. I'm sure the real rules are fine when you are
      going to make 50 rowboats. I'm not. I remember a general sense of
      futility, back when I thought of doing things legally and checked
      them. Meanwhile that equation, easy as it is, correlates poorly with
      the real world, except possibly for my nemesis, the tin motor skiff. I
      admit there are more egregious examples of over (or under) regulation
      out there, in different areas.
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

      > I'd turn the rant machine down a little. The complaint is based on a
      > misunderstanding of the rule, that is, you've only got part of the
      process
      > here (the rule of thumb LxW/15). There's more to it than that. If
      you want a
      > real capacity plate, follow the real rules.
      >
      > You might find that the USCG is a reasonable group of folks. Unless
      your
      > talking imigration policy, and there's no gainsaying that.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic