Wolfe's Wine Shoppe September Calendar

  • Leo Bueno
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002

      THE BOYS'

      Wet Noses

      by Wolfe's Wine Shoppe

      Fresh From the Bottle

      While on my trip to Italy we came upon a wonderful Barolo producer named Mario Marengo.  He has only two hectars in the Cru "Brunate" in the township of La Morra .  Old vines, almost 75 years old and up on full south facing slopes (longest exposure of sun for any exposition allowing for optimum development of the grape).  He only makes 5000 bottles a year. The wine was rich with aromas of cherries, strawberries and smoke.  On the palate it was super rich and coating with aromatics of sweet flowers and truffles.  The deep, brooding flavors and extraordinary extraction, finish with wonderful spices and very ripe fruit.  This is from the fabulous 1997 Vintage and this wine is truly singing songs.  Most of the other 97 Barolos are in collectors closets but there is a little bit left of this jewel and a true bargain at $57 a bottle.

      Calendar of Events 2002

      be sure to look for updates!!!!!

      September

      Friday, September 6th

      -7:00- 9:00pm

      gallery walk SOUTHERN FRANCE in Shoppe tasting

      Explore the rich, expressive wines of Southern France, the regions showcased will be the Cotes du Ventoux, Cotes du Rhone and Pic St. Loup.  Producers showcased will be; Janasse, Trignon, Pesquie Domaine Andizon and Ch. La Roque.

      10 gets you in and gets you a Spiegelau Clarette Wine Glass to take home. Call or E-mail to RSVP

      Friday, September 13th

      Willakenzie's national Sales Director

      Shelby TUTTHILL

      -7:00- 9:00pm

      Willakenzie Estate is located in Oregon 's Willamette Valley on rolling hillsides in the Chehalem Mountains . The winery was named after the Willakenzie soil on which the vineyards are planted to convey the influence that the soil imparts on the wine's flavors and aromas. The vineyards are planted with grapes of the Pinot family, mostly new Dijon clones of Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris from Alsace . Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris are cool climate grapes, which are particularly well adapted to Oregon . The Willamette Valley is situated around the 45th parallel, which is the same latitude as Burgundy , sharing many similar climatic conditions with that region.  Tasting 2001 Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris, 2000 Willamette Pinot Noir and Kiana Pinot Noir, 1999 Pinot Noir Aliette and Pierre Leon. 10 gets you in and gets you a Spiegelau Clarette Wine Glass to take home. Call or E-mail to RSVP

      TUESday, September 17th

      7:30-9:00pm

      (OH MY GOD! THIS IS HUGe FOR WWS)

      John Larchet, proprietor of the australian premium wine collection WIll Join us in the shoppe for a tasting with tWO of his producers.

      Gary Farr - Bannockburn & By Farr

      JL COMMENTS

      Gary Farr has developed a cult following in Australia. He has pursued his own approach to producing Pinot, Chardonnay and Shiraz, and succeeded in creating a style unique to Bannockburn. Whilst his years

      working vintage at Domaine Dujac in Burgundy have influenced his approach in the vineyard and in the winery, even he will admit it's the pecularities of the site that deliver what you see in the bottle. This is

      even more evident in the wines he has recently produced off his very own vineyards (the inaugural vintage of "Bannockburn by Farr" winesare sold out).

      Neil Pike - Pikes

      JL COMMENTS

      The brother's Pike seemingly can do no wrong. They get in right with immense consistency, even in the more challenging vintages. The vines are tended to by Andrew, the grapes are transformed into great wine

      by Neil. Neil makes wines that are simply difficult not to enjoy. For the serious wine drinker, they offer plenty of depth of character, structure and complexity. For the wine drinker who just wants a great bottle of wine at a reasonable price, they deliver every time. I have always believed that the easy going nature of the Pike brothers is reflected in their wines.

      Wines to be announced

      10 gets you in and gets you a Spiegelau Clarette Wine Glass to take home. Call or E-mail to RSVP

      Topics of Conversation

      Pre-Sale Items that should not be missed!

      Those of you "Wolfe Packers" who have been to the shoppe recently have probably been given the Gospel about these two Spanish Gems and you heard it from us first!  VALUE, VALUE, VALUE.  So now the professional wine writers have something to write about this one.

      BOB PARKER: "There is only one word for a wine such as Castell del Remei's 2000 Gotim Bru ... awesome! This unfined/unfiltered, 12,000-case blend of 55% Tempranillo, 20% Merlot, and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits an opaque ruby/purple color as well as sumptuous aromas of cedar, black currants, licorice, scorched earth, and graphite. It is full-bodied, sweet, and rich, with fabulous purity and texture. This compelling wine will age well for a decade, although who can resist the full-bodied, intense pleasures it currently offers. Readers seeking a restrained, politically correct, wimpy wine should look elsewhere. Amazing stuff!"  92 pts.

      Castell Del Remei Gotim Bru 2000 , ON PRE-SALE FOR $128.28 a case or $11.69 a bottle

      Castano Collection 1999  ON PRE SALE FOR $191.88 a case or 17.69 a bottle

      NEW ITEMS IN THE STORE

      Aubert Chardonnay "Ritchie Vineyard", Sonoma Coast, 2000  $54.99 bottle

      Mark Aubert has a wonderful pedigree, Peter Michael earned his reputation for great wines, he is also full time wine maker at Colgin and now come his first own lable and his wines are monumental masterpieces with out fining and filtering.  Not much produced so get it will its in the shoppe.  RP 91 pts.

      Descendientes De J. Palacios, S.L. "Corullon", Bierzo, Spain 2000  $66.99 bottle

      Incredibly steep hillside vineyards, distinctive terriors and countless ancient vineyards of Mencia- a red grape believed brought by French pilgrims during the middle ages.  The grape is thought to be a derivative of Cabernet Franc; with an initial bright raspeberry fruit and soft tannins that yield to a distinct minerality with hints of oriental spice.  The texture gains weight and explodes at the back end.

      Mas Doix Priorat, 2000  $69.69 bottle  This new comer from Spain 's Ancient Priorat region is 55% Grenache 40% Carigian and 5% Merlot.  This wine is weighty on the palate with wonderful-sweet extract, with load of jammy fruit, cherry compote and extremely concentrated   A wonderful experience 4500 bottles only produced.

      Directions to Great Juice

      Excerpts from Jeffrey's column in the CORAL GABLES GAZETTE

      Blushing with Rosé

      Like a child visiting Disney World for the first time, my first trip to the vineyards of France was like going to church or synagogue on the most holiest of holidays. We started in the north, in Alsace and worked our way down through Burgundy into the Rhone , south through the Midi and finished with the area in and around Provence .  It was here in the south, specifically Bandol where I truly fell in love with the wine trade.

                  As the van traveled north from the rocky Mediterranean coast, the fragrance of dried spices and pine groves overwhelmed the rank smell of day old baguette and musty luggage.  My eyes fixated on the groups of terraces reinforced by limestone walls that outlined the individual domains, until there was a break in the wall.  We had arrived, the "Palais de Pope du Vins", Domaine Tempier.  Cypress trees lined the driveway intermingled with olive trees, I was trembling with anticipation (maybe it was the aux de vie the night before) but to meet and barrel taste with the Peyraud Family I could not control my self.

                  Jean Marie and Francois greeted us with a cool glass of rosé and offered us homemade sauscicon and olives from the Domaine before heading into the cellar to taste from the barrels.  Then to my amazement we were introduced to Kermit Lynch who resides in Provence and happens to import many small, esoteric wines including the Peyraud's Domaine Tempier.  He is a curmudgeon of a man but considered by many almost papal and I was tasting with him!  I felt nauseous with excitement.  In the cellar we tasted out of barrel as Kermit translated.  The grape Mourvedre is king at Tempier, then the blending of Grenache and Cinsaut balances the finished wine depending on the vineyard sites. I wrote feverishly as Kermit spoke about each wine we tasted; the regular Bandol, La Tourtine, La Migoua, Cabassaou and finally the Cuvee Speciale.  Each having specific characteristics of the individual vineyard that names the wine with the exception of the regular Bandol which is a field blend changing from year to year and the Cuvee Speciale which is usually 100% mourvedre. The wines were an inky color with loads of roasted berry and stone fruits and with the exception of the rose, all had an intense earthiness to them.  Can you say nirvana!

                  Then it was up to the back yard where the picnic table was set for one of Lulu Peyraud's (the matriarch of the family) legendary lunches.  My cheeks rosy from the alcohol, Lulu took note and asked if the embarrassed one would sit next to her.  The 80 something year young spokeswomen of the family had rendered me speechless in one broken word of English.  That afternoon we feasted on octopus stew and succulent steamed vegetables with plenty of aioli heady with garlic and traded stories of French and Florida Restaurants as our glasses overflowed with a never ending river of rosé.

                  After great Provencal chevres and wonderfully ripe local fruits and melons, Lulu took us on a walk around the Domaine.  The beautiful view of the mountains around the Mediterranean led to two of the most beautiful oak trees which must have been at least 100 years old, with a beautiful garden between the trees.  Lulu led us into the garden where she kneeled down on the earth and kissed the ground where Lucien, her husband lay at rest and his grave overlooked the beautiful landscape of Bandol.  Kermit told us that it was 4 years to the day that he had passed, needless to say there was not a dry eye in the crowd.

                  I'm positive that my adoration for Domaine Tempier has much to do with my visit and Lulu's infectious zest for life.  Experiences where one can immerse themselves in the culture and the true way of life of a wine producing area is the only real way to understand the liquid in the glass.

      The Senses Accentuated

      Hold your nose, close your eyes, don't listen and taste a sip of wine.  No taste you say, well that's what happens when you shut down the rest of your olfactory senses other than your mouth.  Its like trying to view a painting in the dark, you may be able to feel the ridges from the acrylics but with out seeing it your missing out on the full experience.  So when it comes to enjoying a fantastic glass of the nectar of the gods its crucial to have a vessel equally supreme as what goes in it.

                  The age old saying, "keep it simple stupid" comes to mind when glassware is the topic of conversation.  For optimum enjoyment your stemware selection should be based on accentuating the wines color, aroma and flavor.  So to do this, your vessel should be made of colorless glass, it should be transparent and unadorned (all the more better to see you with my pretty).  Even on a budget, part of the appreciation of the art in the bottle is its hue.  All wine writers suggest adjectives describing wines' color; from the "bright robe of Rapunzels golden locks to inky, squid-like penetrating blackness", assessing the wines color is part of the joy, even if you don't have a thesaurus sitting next to you.  As for the size of the glass, experts are in agreement on one thing,  make sure that the bowl of the glass will hold up to double or triple the volume of wine poured.. This way there is a larger surface area of wine in the bottom and the bouquet of the wine can get trapped by the narrowing of the glass.  So for an average pour of 5-6  ounces the glass should hold 15-18 ounces for red wine and a little smaller for whites to keep them compact which will keep them colder longer.  What about the stem you ask, a glass with a long stem lets you swirl the wine more easily,  swirling helps bring out the smells of the wine, which is also part of the artistry.  Also, a long stem keeps the heat of your hand away from the wine.

      The shape of the glass is more controversial, George Riedel (pronounced like needle, I've been corrected) makes 4 different lines of stemware from Austria .  They are all led crystal and his super premium line,  is all hand blown and are rather expensive.  His theory is to make stemware to maximize taste and aroma by delivering the wine to the right part of the mouth, as well as being shaped properly to catch and concentrate the scents of the wine.  In terms of acidity, tannins, fruit flavors, aromatic components, and the like, different types of wine have different palate profiles. These are sensed by different parts of the tongue, nose and throat. Supposedly, his wine glasses can be designed to channel the wine as you sip it to the parts of the mouth where you will get the optimal tasting experience. It is said that there is a different place in the mouth for each wine, hence the different shapes for the glasses.  I'm in agreement with some of these principles but there are other lines of stemware that are cheaper and delivery the wine relatively in the same fashion.  Spiegealu is a brand that competes with Reidel, they have the same lead content, but are machine blown and a third less expensive.  Lets face it,  glasses always break so for my money the more economical the better.

      The up keep of stemware is vital to its life.  I am against the use heavy duty soaps and cleaners for washing .  Stemware should be a neutral medium and traces of soap residue are like mind fields in battle.  High temperature water and a clean sponge are all that's usually necessary to kill the bacteria and give you a spotless clean surface.  Soap should only be uses under the most extreme dirtiness or if you have a lipstick wheeling woman in your family.  As far as drying your stemware, you need to use a lint free cloth, usually cotton is the most effective and let them air dry for a few minutes and then use the rage to get it shiningly dry.  Storing glasses is also something to think about. You may be tempted to store them in the your cabinets with the bowl down, Don't!  Stale odors may permeate the stem and give it a fowl odor.  So stand them up right and if you don't use them for a while, just give them a wipe down with a dry, clean, cotton cloth.

      So remember no matter what you are drink, whether it be Thunderbird or Corton-Charlemagne the stemware is vital to enjoying your juice!

      Happenings

      Christie and Rina's Gift bags are selling very well and the Charity this quarter is the Diabetes Research Institute,   So when your in the shoppe purchasing a for a gift for someone pick up one of the hand made wine bags and help find a cure.

      Kibble Bites...

      It awesome when our friends come to visit, we've had some of the Wolfe Packers with their "Wet Noses" in tow.  We always have some extra play toys in the store and a cool bowl of water waiting, come and say ARF-ARF!!!

      jeffrey wolfe

      jeffrey@...

      WOLFE'S WINE SHOPPE

      124 miracle mile