File - Group Practices and Etiquette

  • MiamiWine@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 55 , May 1, 2013
      Thank you for being a part of Miami Wine Tasters. The purpose of this message is to provide you with relevant group practices information and etiquette suggestions. Please consider printing this message for future reference.

      SOCIAL STUFF
      We get together periodically at different wine venues around town. We hope you join us. The online contacts are fine, but nothing takes the place of face-to-face discussions with wine on hand.

      Kevin Jones (786-556-5062, kevin@ KevinJones.com) is the group's social coordinator. He handles all social aspects of the group--informal tastings, parties, etc. Please contact Kevin with suggestions and requests for group gigs.

      PARTICIPATE
      We hope you participate in the group actively. If you know about an upcoming tasting, dinner, function, party, or whatever, *speak up* and tell us about it.

      The group's primary function is to provide information about wine-related events. If you don?t share your event information, we misallocate a valuable resource: you. So, please don't assume that someone else will post the information you have; others will similarly assume that somebody else will and then nobody does. So, as soon as you get it, post it!

      Similarly, please provide your input about tastings and events you attend, about wines you purchased locally, and in general, about anything else that fits the group's bill. The key is to exchange information among group members. Hey, you may not be Robert Parker, but we want to hear from you.

      STAY ON TOPIC
      The subject of the group is WINE in the MIAMI area. Please keep your postings to that topic--so they will deal with *both* wine and the Miami area. It's OK to take a little latitude in the subjects we discuss, but please stay close to the group's core subject as much as possible.

      NO PRIVATE MESSAGES
      If you are sending a message of a primarily private nature, please send it only to its intended recipient. Again, please remember that group messages go to everyone. So, for example, if you are making reservations for a tasting, dinner or other event, please don't post an RSVP to the group; send it privately. The idea is to conserve bandwidth. We all get too many damned e-mail messages as it is; no need to get more unnecessary ones.

      UNMODERATED
      Please remember that this is an unmoderated group. As soon as you press the <enter> key, whatever you wrote in your message goes to everyone. Nobody censors what you say before you say it. So, be judicious in your writing.

      HOW TO GET ONLY ONE MESSAGE PER DAY
      If you wish to receive at most one message per day containing all of the day's messages, you can so choose. Simply tell the groupmeister to configure your subscription that way (send your request to LeoBueno@...). However, note that you will not receive message attachments; this is a Yahoo system limitation.

      You can also do it yourself online at the group's web site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/miamiWINE by setting your personal profile option to "Daily digest" at the "Edit My Membership" web link. Note that you need to first register (at the "Register" link) if you are not already registered with Yahoo or "Sign In" if you already are.

      Attachments Caveat: Note that if you choose to receive a daily digest you will not get message attachments, including graphics. This is a limitation imposed by the Yahoo system. Sorry, there's nothing we can do about it.

      HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE
      If you wish to unsubscribe from the group, send an e-mail to
      miamiWINE-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com and then respond to the system's unsubscribe confirmation message. You can also unsubscribe at the "Leave Group" web link.

      PROSELYTIZE
      We all benefit from the critical mass and network effects. The more wine drinkers we have in the group, the more valuable the group becomes to everyone. So, please tell other wine drinkers about the group.

      THANKS
      Again, thanks for being a part of the group. If you have any questions or concerns, please let your humble groupmeister know. We hope you enjoy the discussions and can benefit from the information available in the group.

      Leo Bueno
      LeoBueno@ USA.net
      305-669-5260
    • MiamiWine@yahoogroups.com