The Juice for Miami - 51

  • TheJuice@localwineevents.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
      The Juice for Miami, sponsored by Need a Gift?

      Hello Miami,

      In this week's issue of The Juice:

      * E Block
      * Wine Quiz Question
      * Calendar of Miami food/wine events
      * Ongoing Miami food/wine events
      * Article:
      * Article:
      * Tidbits: Wine Humor/Wine FAQs
      * Wine Quiz Answer
      * Unsubscribe Information

      Well, the Top Blogs list has crossed over 100 blogs in less than a month and the interest is still going strong. http://www.localwineevents.com/blogs/blog_list.php?p=1 � LocalWineEvents.com was mentioned in the Wall St. Journal again this past weekend. Thanks Dotty and John. I love those two! Speaking of which; Isn�t it odd that after six and half years online, mentions in every major newspaper, including the NY Times, Wall St. Journal, US News and World Report, etc., and almost every wine magazine, that neither Wine and Food Magazine, nor The Wine Spectator has deigned to mention LocalWineEvents.com? What�s up with that??? � If you are anywhere near a Pennsylvania state store, there are some sweet deals to be had on wine as part of the �Chairman�s Selection� program. Check this out; www.LocalWineEvents.com/chairmanselection.php � EVO

      Wine Quiz Question

      Which is the main grape variety is used in the making of Hungary�s Tokay?

      A. Muscadelle
      B. Semillon
      C. Furmint
      D. Marsanne

      Events

      NOTE: Some info may be cut short due to size constraints.
      For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

      NEW!! Event: Australian Foine Wine Tastings: Craneford, Pirrammima & Blea...

      Date: Dec 20, 2006 (Wed) @ 8:00 PM Sharp! Seating is limited
      Place: The Best Cellar
      City: Wilton manors
      Cost: free with the purchase of wine $10 pp at door
      Type: Wine

      This week's tasting is all about amazing value in Australian wines. I found many Australia gems which I have recently purchased at a great price whic...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109762.html

      Event: The Boulevard - Third Thursday Tasting Menu /Wine Dinner

      Date: Dec 21, 2006 (Thu) @ open seating 5:30 - 9:00
      Place: The Boulevard - An American Bistro
      City: Hollywood
      Cost: $35 p.p./ $50 with wine; tax and gratuity additional
      Type: Combo

      Third Thursday Wine Dinner Series Mark your calendar for every Third Thursday of the monthfor Chef Jorge's special 5-course menu paired with wineComi...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109410.html

      NEW!! Event: Australian Foine Wine Tastings: Craneford, Pirrammima & Blea...

      Date: Dec 21, 2006 (Thu) @ 8:00 PM Sharp! Seating is limited
      Place: The Best Cellar
      City: Wilton manors
      Cost: free with the purchase of wine $10 pp at door
      Type: Wine

      This week's tasting is all about amazing value in Australian wines. I found many Australia gems which I have recently purchased at a great price whic...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109763.html

      Event: Pinot Noirs for a Hanukkah Latke Party

      Date: Dec 22, 2006 (Fri) @ 7-9PM
      Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
      City: Coral Gables
      Cost: $20 gets u in and a $10 Credit for that night
      Type: Wine

      FRIDAY DECEMBER 22ND 7:00-9:00PM Pinot Noirs for the Hanukkah Latke Party at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe Great Pinot Noir creates a lasting impression on th...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-108761.html

      NEW!! Event: Australian Foine Wine Tastings: Craneford, Pirrammima & Blea...

      Date: Dec 22, 2006 (Fri) @ 8:00 PM Sharp! Seating is limited
      Place: The Best Cellar
      City: Wilton manors
      Cost: free with the purchase of wine $10 pp at door
      Type: Wine

      This week's tasting is all about amazing value in Australian wines. I found many Australia gems which I have recently purchased at a great price whic...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109764.html

      NEW!! Event: Australian Foine Wine Tastings: Craneford, Pirrammima & Blea...

      Date: Dec 23, 2006 (Sat) @ 8:00 PM Sharp! Seating is limited
      Place: The Best Cellar
      City: Wilton manors
      Cost: free with the purchase of wine $10 pp at door
      Type: Wine

      This week's tasting is all about amazing value in Australian wines. I found many Australia gems which I have recently purchased at a great price whic...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109765.html

      Event: Help! What to drink for New Years Eve?

      Date: Dec 29, 2006 (Fri) @ 7-9PM
      Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
      City: Coral Gables
      Cost: $20 gets u in and a $10 Credit for that night
      Type: Wine

      FRIDAY DECEMBER 29TH 7:00-9:00PM Help! What to drink for New Years Eve? at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe Dick Clark, Times Square, Waterford Crystal Ball, Auld ...

      more:
      http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-108762.html

      For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

      Ongoing Events

      For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

      Daily Free Wine tasting (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-93986.html)
      University of Miami Master Wine Appreciation Course (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-94181.html)
      Premier Wine Club Thursday Tastings (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-95160.html)
      Wine Classes at the Societa Dante Alighieri (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-79716.html)
      Complimentary Wine Tasting (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-105193.html)
      Ladies Night Out (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-105194.html)
      Wine & Tapas Wednesday's at The Boulevard - An American Bist... (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-106006.html)
      Grape Living Online Wine Academy (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-106559.html)
      University of Miami Wine Appreciation Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109449.html)
      University of Miami Wine Appreciation Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109453.html)

      For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

      Wine Articles

      Article Title: Thriving Under the Influence

      Help! I�m a prisoner in a French clich�! They�re slowing my internal clock and force-feeding me leisure the way they fatten local geese for foie gras. I didn�t plan it this way. Normally, the minute my suitcase hits hotel-room soil I achieve wi-fi and get to work. But they seem to have hijacked my brain and marinated it in herbs de Proven�e. I�ve lost all interest in the story I was doing on the French wine market-share crisis, because, well, ...

      Read this article: http://www.localwineevents.com/Wine-Articles/120-1.html
      By: Jennifer

      About the author:
      Winner of the 2005 James Beard Award for Internet wine writing, Jennifer Rosen also writes the weekly wine column for the Rocky Mountain News. Her book, �Waiter, There�s a Horse in My Wine,� has been acclaimed by Publisher�s Weekly, Writer�s Digest, Wine Enthusiast and Robert Parker among others. Her new book, �The Cork Jester�s Guide to Wine,� is just out. As a wine educator and entertainer Jennifer travels the world spreading the Word (Drink Wine.) (Oh, wait, that�s two words). She speaks French, stutters Italian, German, Spanish and Arabic, and works off the job perks with belly dancing and trapeze. Read more, or sign up for her weekly column at: www.corkjester.com.

      Tidbits

      Question:
      During my last visit to Italy, I was told of a Grappa. It is supposed to be 90-95 proof. Would you know where in Italy it could be purchased?
      Answer:
      Grappa is a grape brandy that can be made in two versions in Italy: 1. The clear, colorless, firewater!, inexpensive brandy distilled from left over grape skins etc. from winemaking in all parts of Italy and available everywhere in the U.S. too; or 2. The golden color, richer, smoother, expensive Grappa made from the finest wine grapes used for famous Italian wines and given their names such as Grappa di Barolo, Grappa di Brunello etc. These are aged in oak barrels like fine Cognac and that's how they get to be so golden and smooth. They are expensive and can be high in alcohol (high proof). They can be found in the U.S. or purchased in the regions where made, i.e. Piedmont for Barolo and Tuscany for Brunello. Any great wine store that also sells brandy in Italy will have them--and ditto in the U.S. The brand name you mention is not in my list of brands available where I live in Atlanta. If a friend has a bottle, ask them "who is the importer or producer named on the label"!
      ? Then you can ask your favorite wine store to look it up in the Beverage Journal by wholesaler and importer.

      Excerpt from Wine Faqs: Real Questions-Real Answers by Anita L. Laraia- www.anitalaraia.com
      Buy at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0759625603/localwineeven-20

      Wine Quiz Answer

      C. Furmint

      Contributor: Martin Field
      Melbourne based wine writer, wine educator.

      http://www.thewineblog.net

      Change Email Address:
      http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/login.php

      Tell a Friend:
      http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/tell_a_friend.php

      Sent to: miamiwine@yahoogroups.com

      Copyright � 2000-2004, LocalWineEvents.com
    • TheJuice@localwineevents.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2007
        The Juice for Miami, sponsored by Gary's Wine Club - The Perfect Gift for Any Wine Lover! Memberships From $25 - Visit GarysWineClub.com to Order Today!

        Hello Miami,

        In this week's issue of The Juice:

        * E Block
        * Wine Quiz Question
        * Calendar of Miami food/wine events
        * Ongoing Miami food/wine events
        * Q&A: rose bushes
        * Article: Bottle Shock: When Your Wine is all Shook Up
        * Tidbits: Wine Humor/Wine FAQs
        * Wine Quiz Answer
        * Unsubscribe Information

        E Block

        A wine related Christmas gift that you might consider; The Mark Phillips Wine Glass http://www.winetasting.org/wineglass.html These glasses are whisper thin and as elegant as ANY other specialty wine glass, except they are sturdy. I bought a couple of sets of glasses from Mark two years ago at the Washington D.C. International Wine & Food Festival and they have out-lasted all of my other stemware. Check him out at www.winetasting.org. You will thank me for these glasses. Tell him I sent you. � Rebuild! We are in the early stages of another complete rebuild of LocalWineEvents.com (6.0). Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. (that�s a quote, anyone know it?) We plan to incorporate new web design and video features to keep/expand LocalWineEvents.com as a leader in the niche of online wine information. We learned from our recent survey and have analyzed our Analytics. We have a good idea of what makes our site great. Stay tuned. As always, your input is welcome, e!
        ric@... � EVO
        http://www.winetasting.org/wineglass.html

        Wine Quiz Question

        Which grape�s smell is often described as �Cat pee on a gooseberry bush?�

        A. Pinot Gris
        B. Muscat
        C. Sauvignon Blanc

        Events

        Some info may be cut short due to size constraints.
        View the full Miami calendar here:
        http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

        The Wines of Domaine Zind Humbrecht at Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        Dec 19, 2007 (Wed) @ 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM

        Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: $20 gets you in and gets you a Riedel gl...
        Category: Wine Event

        WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 19TH 6:30-8:00PM The Wines of Domaine Zind Humbrecht at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe While the Humbrecht family have been winegrowers since 1620, the Domaine Zind Humbrec...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158487.html

        NEW!! MWT fundraiser for the Autism Society
        Dec 19, 2007 (Wed) @ 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

        Place: Cefalo's Wine Cellar
        City: Coconut Grove
        Cost: $5 cash donation / $8 glass / $20 for 3 ...
        Category: Combo Event

        Miami Wine Tasters puts you in the giving spirit as you taste wine and raise funds for the Autism Society of Miami-Dade. Get a little taste of older days as you explore the histori...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159368.html

        NEW!! Wednesday Night Wine Tasting
        Dec 19, 2007 (Wed) @ 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

        Place: Casa Mondragon
        City: North Miami Beach
        Cost: $10
        Category: Combo Event

        Spanish wine tasting in celebration of the grand opening of Casa Mondragon, North Miami's hip new Spanish wine bar and restaurant. Come meet proprietors Leonardo and Mercedes while...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159524.html

        NEW!! Educational Sit-Down Relaxing International Fine Boutique Wine Tasting...
        Dec 19, 2007 (Wed) @ 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM

        Place: The Best Cellar
        City: Fort Lauderdale
        Cost: Free $10pp at door which is refunded to ...
        Category: Wine Event

        The Best Cellar is different from most other wine stores you visit. First, it is really a wine boutique, a small shop which concentrates on quality wines, primarily from sma...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159936.html

        NEW!! Battle of the Kings- Champagne Tasting
        Dec 20, 2007 (Thu) @ 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

        Place: W Wine Boutique
        City: Miami Beach
        Cost: Free tasting with the purchase of a $48 ...
        Category: Wine Event

        This is a once in a life time opportunity to taste all the big boys from Champagne side by side. We are going to pour Cristal, Krug 95', Krug NV, Dom Perignon 99', Henri Giraud 95...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159821.html

        NEW!! Last tasting of the Year.....Wines from Friuli
        Dec 20, 2007 (Thu) @ 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

        Place: Casa Toscana Fine Foods & Wines
        City: Miami Shores
        Cost: $ 15
        Category: Combo Event

        Join us for our last tasting of 2007 with wine educator Harry Deulofeut. We will taste the beautiful wines produced by Paolo Valle in Friuli, such as Tocai, Merlot, Cabernet and on...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159847.html

        NEW!! Educational Sit-Down Relaxing International Fine Boutique Wine Tasting...
        Dec 20, 2007 (Thu) @ 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM

        Place: The Best Cellar
        City: Fort Lauderdale
        Cost: Free $10pp at door which is refunded to ...
        Category: Wine Event

        The Best Cellar is different from most other wine stores you visit. First, it is really a wine boutique, a small shop which concentrates on quality wines, primarily from sma...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159937.html

        Pinot Noirs at Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        Dec 21, 2007 (Fri) @ 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

        Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: $20 gets you in and gets you a Riedel gl...
        Category: Wine Event

        FRIDAY DECEMBER 21ST 7:00-9:00PM Pinot Noirs at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe Great Pinot Noir creates a lasting impression on the palate and in the memory. Its aroma can be intense with a ...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158489.html

        NEW!! Educational Sit-Down Relaxing International Fine Boutique Wine Tasting...
        Dec 21, 2007 (Fri) @ 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM

        Place: The Best Cellar
        City: Fort Lauderdale
        Cost: Free $10pp at door which is refunded to ...
        Category: Wine Event

        The Best Cellar is different from most other wine stores you visit. First, it is really a wine boutique, a small shop which concentrates on quality wines, primarily from sma...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159938.html

        NEW!! Educational Sit-Down Relaxing International Fine Boutique Wine Tasting...
        Dec 22, 2007 (Sat) @ 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM

        Place: The Best Cellar
        City: Fort Lauderdale
        Cost: Free $10pp at door which is refunded to ...
        Category: Wine Event

        The Best Cellar is different from most other wine stores you visit. First, it is really a wine boutique, a small shop which concentrates on quality wines, primarily from sma...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159939.html

        Save my Sanity at Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        Dec 23, 2007 (Sun) @ 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM

        Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: Free to Wolfepackers
        Category: Wine Event

        SUNDAY DECEMBER 23RD 1:00-6:00PM Save My Sanity with Wine at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe We know that you will have had enough of shopping by now, so stop by the shoppe and we will have a...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158491.html

        �Mad Libs� for Wolfe�s �Cubs� (Wolfepackers aged 21-30)
        Dec 27, 2007 (Thu) @ 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM

        Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: Free to Wolfepackers
        Category: Wine Event

        FRIDAY DECEMBER 27TH 6:30-8:30PM Intramural Tasting-Season One �Mad Libs� for Wolfe�s �Cubs� (Wolfepackers aged 21-30) at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe Consider that you already have what ...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158493.html

        Wine for Lovin in the New Year at Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        Dec 28, 2007 (Fri) @ 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

        Place: Wolfe's Wine Shoppe
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: Free to Wolfepackers
        Category: Wine Event

        FRIDAY DECEMBER 28TH 7:00-9:00PM WINE for �LOVIN� IN THE NEW YEAR Grower Bubbles and �Stickies� at Wolfe�s Wine Shoppe Champagne has launched thousands of ships, toasted billion...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158494.html

        NEW!! New Year's Sparklers Celebration @ Vine Wine Shop!
        Dec 28, 2007 (Fri) @ 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM

        Place: Vine Wine Shop & Tasting Loft
        City: Miami
        Cost: $20
        Category: Wine Event

        New Year's Sparklers @ Vine Wine Shop! This evening start celebrating the new year early by joining us as we discover the worlds most celebratory beverage--Champagne & Sparkling wi...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-159917.html

        Wok Star Cooking Class
        Jan 12, 2008 (Sat) @ 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM

        Place: LA CUISINE gourmet
        City: Coral Gables
        Cost: $65 per person. Prepayment & RSVP requir...
        Category: Combo Event

        Join Wok Star, Eleanor Hoh for an unforgettable class in healthy, homestyle and delicious wok cooking to share with family and friends. An appetizer and 3 dishes will be savored ...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-150601.html

        Pleasures of the Palate
        Jan 14, 2008 (Mon) @ 6:30 PM - 10:00 PM

        Place: Emeril's Miami Beach
        City: Miami Beach
        Cost: $250
        Category: Combo Event

        After 9 successful years at the incomparable and recently-closed NORMAN�S in Coral Gables, Pleasures of the Palate will celebrate its 10th anniversary at Emeril�s Miami Beach, an e...

        more: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-150831.html

        Ongoing Events

        Some info may be cut short due to size constraints.
        View the full Miami calendar here:
        http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

        ISG Wine Fundamentals 1 and 2 Certification (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-147504.html)

        Friday Night Wine Tasting Series (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-153354.html)

        Girls Wine Out Wednesday (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-153356.html)

        Schnebly Redland's Winery Tastings & Tours (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-153366.html)

        �KLINK! The Spanish Wine Podcast (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158217.html)

        bin no 18 Thursdays Wine Tasting (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158808.html)

        WSET Intermediate Certification Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-154727.html)

        Basic Cake Baking and Decorating (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158991.html)

        Basic Cooking Skills (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158993.html)

        Introduction to Wine Appreciation (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-158994.html)

        WSET Intermediate Certification Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-156774.html)

        Q&A

        rose bushes

        Why do most vineyards have rose bushes at the end of the vine rows?

        View Answer: http://www.localwineevents.com/Questions/question-61.html

        Wine Articles

        Bottle Shock: When Your Wine is all Shook Up
        By: Jennifer Jordan

        Ah, bottle shock. Some people know it for its true definition; others imagine it�s what a bottle of red feels whenever a bottle of white is chosen instead. Whatever meaning you lean towards, one thing is certain: bottle shock isn�t a term with which many wines hope to be labeled. In the scientific sense of the word, bottle shock, also called bottle sickness, is when wine adopts strange, disordered flavors. These strange flavors m...

        Read more here: http://www.localwineevents.com/Wine-Articles/375-1.html

        Tidbits

        "On one occasion some one put a very little wine into a glass, and said that it was sixteen years old. 'It is very small for its age,' said Gnathaena."
        ~~ Athenaeus

        Excerpt from Vintage Humor for Wine Lovers by Malcolm Kushner
        Buy at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0970459890/localwineeven-20

        Wine Quiz Answer

        C. Sauvignon Blanc

        Sounds gross, but it�s actually bracingly different and delicious. When you�re looking for words to describe wine, don�t stick to flowers and fruits. Peanut butter and jelly, petrol and wet mouse are just a few things tasters find.

        Contributor: Jennifer Rosen
        www.corkjester.com

        Change Email Address:
        http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/login.php

        Tell a Friend:
        http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/tell_a_friend.php

        Sent to: miamiwine@yahoogroups.com

        Copyright � 2000-2007, LocalWineEvents.com