SoBe Wine Festival tasting notes

  • Leo Bueno
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2003

      OK, I give up; none of you posted your thoughts about the wines you tried at the South Beach Wine Festival las Sunday.  So, I will jot down some notes about the wines I tried.

      DELICATO SHIRAZ:  The absolute best value I saw.  Don't recall vintage.  Sells for $7, according to the company rep.  The nose had some over-ripened fruit initially, which then turned to perfume.  Don't recall the taste (it was good) or finish, but I did conclude this was a wine I would pay $15 for.

      DOMAINES BARONS DE ROTHCHILD LEGENDE R BORDEAUX ROUGE:  fairly light; ready to drink now; not tannic.  Sold for $9, so neither here nor there.

      FRANCISCAN ESTATE SIMI CABERNET SAUVIGNON: classically (California) fruity.  Overall very pleasant palate.  The acidity/tannins could smooth a little with time.  $20.

      DOMINUS NAPANOOK: Aromatic spice (oregano, basil, etc.) nose.  Ready to drink. The tannins complement the sugar well.  The wood kicks in at the finish.

      NICOLAS CHATEAU D'ARCINS HAUT MEDOC: too acidic. $16

      PACIFIC STAR VIOGNIER:  The alcohol comes through loud and clear.  Probably good with fatty foods.

      PACIFIC STAR CHARBONO: "Sweet" or liquorish nose.  A bit tannic.  Beautiful color.

      RUTHERFORD RANCH MERLOT: Classic California; high sugar. $16

      STERLING VINEYARDS THREE PALMS NAPA VALLEY MERLOT:  Balanced; all-around good. $45.  I am a cheap wine drinker, so I could not quite gauge whether this was a good value.

      STERLING VINEYARDS PINOT: Nothing special.

      RAIMAT CABERNET SAUVIGNON:  Liquorish nose; not much sugar; mildly acidic; quick finish. $13

      ROTHBURY SIRAH:  Nice.

      KRUG 2000 CABERNET: Volatile organics nose; well-balanced; full-body feel; good amount of residual sugar; pleasant finish.

      FRANCISCAN NAPA VALLEY MERLOT:  Overall O.K; $20-24.

      So, there you have it.  I tried a few others, but did not take notes, so can't tell you.

      Leo Bueno
      305-818-9129
      305-669-5260
      P.O. Box 440545